Solved!

Go to Solution

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 31st, 2010 13:00

Studio XPS 8100 Realtek ALC887 Integrated Audio - weird skipping/jittery sound

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I seem to still have a weird issue with audio. When I play something with audio (movie/music) regardless of program used to play, I get a weird skipping sound, or jittery sound every few seconds. It only lasts about half a second, but it’s enough to annoy you. Upon reboot the problem clears for about a day. Troubleshooting performed is uninstalling the driver, and reinstalling the Dell driver. Last night I went to Realtek.com.tw and grabbed the latest drivers from the manufacturer since they were newer than Dell’s version. I am waiting to see how this works out as it takes about a day for it to show up. In Control Panel- Sound, the Realtek High Definition shows under Speakers. The ATI DP Output is greyed out so that should not be causing an audio conflict.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

8 Posts

August 8th, 2010 16:00

I've got the same issue with my DELL 8100 Studio XPS.  I'm running a fresh version of Win7 X64 from my MSDN so I think the issues noted earlier about Roxio being the root cause are not the case, at least with mine and several others.

I've run the official Dell audio drivers as well as the newer version directly from RealTek.  In both cases after a few days the audio starts to stutter/skip. The newer RealTek drivers actually seem to make the stuttering worst.  It's actually evident in YouTube videos where as previously with the official Dell Drivers the stuttering was limited to certain applications (Winamp for example).

The fact that the audio works for a period of time but then begins to stutter/skip leads me to believe this is a software issue and not hardware.

I am at my wits end with this issue.  I'd love to hear a response from Dell on this and get this remedied ASAP.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2010 08:00

I'm in the same boat as you.  Fresh install from MSDN, still have issue.  It doesn't seem to be specific to Dell - if you Google around, many with the Realtek HD Audio card seem to have the issue.

Would love a resolution, unfortunately, I just reboot way too often.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2010 14:00

I just disabled my Wireless adapter (I use a wired connection) in addition to removing Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to have done the trick.  Will likely seek an alternative solution for A/V purposes.  This seems to have solved the issue for now.  I also disabled the ATI HD Audio card (It's controls HDMI audio out on the Video card), though this showed no noticeable difference...

Give it a shot...

Would also recommend checking out this thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/22369-realtek-windows-7-64rtm-crackle-static-popping.html

8 Posts

August 15th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for the tip on MSE.

I've been keeping an eye on my DPC latency lately and noticed just today that disabling Microsoft Security Essentials real time security that my DPC latency remained low (not going into red terroritory) after it was running high and making my audio skip.  After renenabling MSE realtime security again it remained low although I am expecting after a few days it will go back up.

I found some articles on this over at the MSE Microsoft forums:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/0519ba5e-f3d8-4caa-a193-01fea178aa4f

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 13:00

I have the same issue with my XPS.

March 5th, 2013 16:00

So Do I :(

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2013 18:00

So Do I :(

You responded to a thread that's 3 years old.

Suggest you start a new thread about your problem. Be sure to include the exact PC model, version of Windows, and specifics about what problem you have and when you have it (eg, what app is running), whether the problem is new, etc...

Thanks.

March 6th, 2013 06:00

You responded to a thread that's 3 years old.

Suggest you start a new thread about your problem. Be sure to include the exact PC model, version of Windows, and specifics about what problem you have and when you have it (eg, what app is running), whether the problem is new, etc...

Thanks.

Are you a mod like?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 6th, 2013 08:00

I'm just a long time volunteer on these forums ("Rockstar" designation). I don't work for Dell and never have.

Just here to help people fix their PC problems. When you post in an old thread that's already marked "answered", you're less likely to get attention for a new problem. And unless you give us all the details, we won't know if you have the exact same PC and version of Windows, both things can affect the way the problem is solved. And keep in mind that what may have worked 2-3 years ago may not work now...

No Events found!