Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 10:00

Studio XPS 8100 constant freezing and crashing

Hi all

I recently received the Dell Studio XPS 8100 on the 24th February and since then I have had constant system crashes and freezes.

It can happen at anytime. Even when I am doing simple tasks like just browsing the internet or listening to media player.

Games do not last long before the system freezes.

The system becomes completelly unresponsive. Even the mouse and keyboard do not work and the only way i can reboot is by removing the plug from the wall socket then plugging it back in. Then i get the windows was not shut down properly message and have to select start windows normally.

Dell have told me that the hardware is fine so it is a software issue and they have asked me to call their technical support to resolve the issue. Since I will have to do this on my mobile it will cost a lot. I think it is unacceptable that i have to pay to get an issue resolved that shouldnt be their in the first place. I've had it 5 days and have had to unplug it from the mains more than i can remember. As you can probably tell I am not very happy with Dell at the moment and feel like i have been sold a duff system.

I have attempted a system restore to remove all the software and data i had installed to see if this solved the problem but as the desktop was loading after I entered the information for windows such as computer name and pasword etc... It crashed.

Before the system restore i had updated the audio and video drivers and the BIOS is up to date.

System spec is

Studio XPS 8100

Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

Intel core i7 860

6GB DDR3 RAM

NVidia GTS240 1GB

I hope thats enough information. Please ask if you need more.

Thanks in advance

Briggsy0113

9 Posts

March 8th, 2010 04:00

I have the same spec as you but with 8GB of RAM and mine is crashing a lot during intensive games. The warning signs are the fan speed increases all of a sudden and the games just freeze completely and need to be stopped in the Task Manager.

This is really disappointing for me as everything else about the machine is great.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

60 Posts

March 8th, 2010 05:00

it may be expensive but try replacing the RAM

things like this happened to me with my dimension untill I got new RAM

or try reinstalling windows

if you have bad RAM you will get CRC errors all the time when you install

9 Posts

To be honest I don't want to swap any hardware out as I have only had the computer for a month or so.

Does anyone know the best email address for dell support? If they can't help me I will just send it back.

I have reinstalled the OS and had tech support on the phone all afternoon the other day.

They are sending an engineer out to replace my motherboard and hard drive because they couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Ill let you all know what happens.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

March 13th, 2010 20:00

Hi all

I recently received the Dell Studio XPS 8100 on the 24th February and since then I have had constant system crashes and freezes.

It can happen at anytime. Even when I am doing simple tasks like just browsing the internet or listening to media player.

We just took delivery of an XPS 8100 and assembled it today. We are having the same problem with spontaneous reboots and freezes. Ours will not run for more than 7 - 10 minutes before it either reboots itself or locks up. It took us 4 tries to complete the initial Windows setup because it kept rebooting during the process. By the fifth try we had the initial setup process nailed and we beat the next reboot. But then it continued to reboot itself and lock up every 7 - 10 minutes or so. Like yours, when ours locks up we either have to hold down the power button until it shuts down or we have to pull the plug from the UPS. Our call to Dell tech support was a waste of time. The connection was so bad that we couldn't hear nor understand them and they couldn't hear us. After 20 - 30 minutes of screaming and yelling into the phone we finally gave up. This thing is going back to Dell.

By the way, ours was configured quite differently from yours - Intel core i5-650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD5450 1GB, 1TB hard drive.

Let us know what happens when you get your new motherboard.

March 14th, 2010 05:00

Hi All

After the engineer came he looked at the BIOS and said it was only saying there was 3GB memory but in windows it was saying 6GB.

He replaced the RAM chips but the same problem was there and still the system froze.

He finally decided to replace the mother board. The BIOS now states the correct amount of RAM and so far the system has not frozen since. Must have been a fault with a RAM socket.

So far my PC is working very well. The guy I was speaking to at Dell tech support was very helpfull and organised everything quickly for me with an engineer coming out the very next day. Although I did have the same problem with hearing what he was saying through the phone.

4 Posts

March 26th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

4 Posts

Hello,

This week I received my XPS 8100 configured just as yours.  I started setting it up, copying our files to it, etc. and it started freezing and rebooting every 10 minutes or so.  I contacted Dell and within a relatively short time on the phone, they said they would send another complete system.  I am now waiting for it.  The first tech told me it would only be a few days, however, when I called to follow up today I was told 3-4 weeks.  I expressed my frustration and the gentleman said he would try to expedite it.

How is your system working?  I am wondering if I'm going to have the same issues with the replacement that's on it's way.  We've had 2 Dells that have lasted over 5 years and I'm hoping that this one isn't a lemon.

Thanks!

Hi

Since my PC got repaired it has been working just fine. No crashes or freezing issues like I had before. Seems like it was a faulty motherboard and a new one fixed it.

It is a very nice PC which I use for 3D CAD, gaming and general office use. Hoping that it will last me quite a long time too.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2010 11:00

Hi... Just happened to see your problem and I had a similar one with my XPS 8100... same setup as yours except 8 GB DDR3 RAM.   Went through a couple hours of tech calls until they finally agreed they had to send a technician to replace system board and power supply.

When Tech got here he found the cooling fan on the processor was not firmly attached in the four sockets that held it on the system board and in contact with the
the top of the processor.   The processor was overheating and had a thermal sensing device built in and was thus shutting the computer down.

He said that he thought simply snapping the fan into place would solve the problem, but I asked him to go ahead and replace the system board and power supply as well as that is what he came ready to do.  Anyway the problem has been fixed, no issues since and this was back on March 15th.

So check to make sure the fan is firmly attached to the processor....mine was only separated by a fraction of an inch and the only indication was that the fan was a little loud from what I had been used to... The fan must be in contact with the processor and there is a layer of thermal paste in between the two to promote heat
exchange as well.

Make sure you are grounded when working inside the computer.... so you won't cause any static discharge damage to the components.

Hope this helps.

Mediaman57

4 Posts

April 8th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for the post - this week I received the replacement XPS 8100 and all seems well so far.  Perhaps Dell was fully aware of the issues because they were very accommodating in sending a new one out to me with very few questions from Tech support.  I am pleased with how easy it has been to exchange as well as how fast the machine is.  

April 12th, 2010 20:00

Just found the thread... thanks for being here.

Mine arrived on Friday and I plugged it in today for the first time and started playing with it sporadically for a few minutes at a time. The key here is "at a time." Everytime I would come back to the computer it would mysteriously be powered completely off. On re-boot, the message, Windows did not shut down properly...... Blah Blah, Blah. HMMMMM! I guess I will be calling tech support tomorrow.

881 Posts

June 5th, 2010 14:00

Sorry to hear about all of the trouble you have had! I have had some issues but not nearly as bad as yours. I had to have a new processor fan/heatsink, new TV card and keyboard but nothing major. (so far)

My BSOD's and crashes stopped after I got rid of every trace of all things McAffee. The new fan/heatsink cooled things off somewhat. For quite a while the system has been running great!

I hope the new one works well for you.

Jeff

4 Posts

June 5th, 2010 14:00

I purchased a Dell XPS8100 in April.  I have the I7 860 and 8 gigs of ram.  One day I turned on the machine, it booted up to windows.  I was not able to do use any program.  I could use the mouse and keyboard, open programs, but nothing would run.  So, I rebooted my machine.  It took forever to shut down the machine, and to boot up.  I was asked to do a diagnostic test, which took 12 hours and didn't finish.  During the test, it showed a bad HD and DVD player.  Dell send a new HD, DVD and MB.  It was installed.  The HD was imaged, but once installed, it was corrupted.  We had to install windows from scratch.  Nothing seemed to have gone right.  After many phone calls, Dell sent me a new computer.

After waiting weeks for the new computer, I installed my programs and files.  Then, booting up one morning, something familiar happened.  I could not use any program.  I restarted, and the same thing happend.  Stalled at the Dell Logo, and took forever to boot up.  The tech at Dell had me reset the bios which helped, but did not resolve the problem.  I then was told to restore to factory settings and reinstall my files and programs.  It was working fine, and then again, it happened.  My new computer I have had less than 2 weeks.  The tech got onto my computer and did somethings, and told me that he will call me back on Monday, to see where we go.

It seems that when Windows Updates searches for the new update, this issue happens.  I believe that there is something wrong with this configuration of the XPS 8100.  This is the 4th Dell I have purchased, and I never had a computer with so many issues.  I am fearful to work with it.  I am so happy that I found others are having the same issues.  I really don't want a replacement for this machine, but a different model.

I know things can go wrong, but I am sure Dell knows that there is a big issue with this configuration.  I am interested to see where this will lead on Monday.

4 Posts

June 7th, 2010 14:00

I am sorry to hear about all the troubles as well.  We haven't had any crashing since Dell shipped us the replacement computer.  I will add that the first thing I did was remove all McAffee and install the FREE Windows Security Essentials.  I have heard that the windows software is very good and I like the idea of no subscription.  

No Events found!