Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2011 06:00

Studio XPS 8100-sudden shutdowns

Have three identical 8100s, and at random intervals they will do a sudden restart. This will happen anywhere from 2-4 times a day. They will do this with nothing else running, including the antivirus and did it new out of the box before I installed any other software. Dell tech support has been no help to this point, their best suggestion was to reinstall from the recovery partition. Having three computers with the same problem would seem to indicate some other issue, if all other 8100s have this problem then there are a lot of upset customers.

Thought it might be an overheating problems but was able to rule that out. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so what was the cure?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 17th, 2011 08:00

The 8100's have the newer "Active PFC" power supplies.  These tend to be more sensitive to AC power variations and will not work with some model UPS systems unless they are a "pure sine wave" output (on battery) type (the higher priced models).    However, some will operate on standard UPS systems as long as the switching time is less than 4 ms.  Could this be the problem or a potential problem?

There is a big thread on here about the Active PFC power supplies and UPS systems.

8 Posts

January 17th, 2011 09:00

Thanks  for the answer, that could very well be the problem. The UPS the computers are on has a 8ms response and a step approximated output. I'll move the PC power to the surge only protected slots and see if that solves the problem.

I'll post back if that helped.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 17th, 2011 09:00

The only thing with taking them off the UPS is any AC power interruptions and they will still go down.

8 Posts

January 17th, 2011 10:00

I checked and the UPS has only gone to battery power 4 times since Christmas, so that isn't the problem unfortunately,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2011 12:00

Have you disabled automatic restart? Run the Dell diagnostics?

8 Posts

January 17th, 2011 13:00

Yes, ran the diagnostics and all good. I wasn't aware of the Automatic Restart, can you tell me more?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2011 17:00

You can find a lot of things just by searching: Disable automatic restart

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 13:00

Update-left one side of the case off of one of the 8100's and no crashes. Put it back on and a blue screen withing 30 minutes. The other two 8100's crashed about half as much. So it certainly seems to be a heat problem, anyone have any suggestions about the best way to add extra cooling to these?

Thanks!

1 Message

February 19th, 2011 08:00

Hi I have the same problem with my 8100.  It is real anoying and I also been having the problem from day 1.  I haven't found a solution yet.  I orginally thought it was a power managment issue but after turning everything the problem still exist.  I also experience times where the ubs ports shut off even though the computer is running.  Can't do anything as the mouse and keyboard are usb.  Can access the remotely so I am wondering if there is a defect in the motherboard.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2011 23:00

Since taking delivery of my Studio XPS 8100 in mid-January (2011), I have had regular shutdowns as described by other owners here.  After trying a few of the suggested (less costly) fixes here and in other posts, I think I have found the problem plaguing my unit.  I had tried updating as many drivers as I could through the Dell Support website, re-installing the processor heat sink with Arctic Silver 5 paste, disabling the setting for USB Root Hub 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and a few other fixes that I won't get into now.  I even ordered a PCI slot case cooler fan (VIZO PCI-101-BK 65 mm), which I have not yet received from NEWEGG, to lower temperatures.  Having followed the advice in this forum to Disable Automatic Restart, I finally got a BSOD error report that led me to this article http://bit.ly/BugCheckFor8100  This led me to check my driver for my on-board NIC which is a Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet unit.  After downloading their current driver from this site http://bit.ly/i9KJ06 , I found the Windows 7 (64-bit) driver to be dated August 2010 while the driver on my 8100 was dated July 2009.  So I downloaded and installed, through Device Manager - Update Driver, and so far have had no more sudden shutdowns.  I'll try to update this post later to let anyone interested know if this has 'totally' fixed my problem.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 07:00

Update:

Sorry for the premature 'solution' here, as sadly I report another shutdown occurred today.  I'm not sure why I do not get a BSOD when this restart occurs, since I have set the Disable Automatic Restart a few days ago.  I'm now back to square one, any ideas would be appreciated.  :emotion-8:

3 Posts

March 6th, 2011 23:00

Update # 2

I put a call in to Dell tech support a week ago and had a tech from Worldwide Tech Services come to my home to replace my motherboard, memory, hard drive, and video card on Tuesday, March 1.  As we booted up the machine after the parts were replaced, Windows loaded about 50% of the device drivers and then suddenly shut down.  It was great to have the failure occur with the tech watching.  She immediately called this result into Dell tech support with her description of the latest failure.  She told me that the power switch on the top of the case sounded loud to her when it suddenly shut down.  So a new power switch, i5-650 processor and hard drive (another hard drive, because they had loaded Win 7 Home Premium instead of Win 7 Professional that came with my computer) were ordered and the same tech (at my request) came back on Thursday, March 3 to install these new parts.  No more sudden shutdowns!  The machine has run properly for 3 days now.  The tech is quite sure that the power switch was the only thing wrong, though just about everything else was replaced in the process of diagnosing the problem.  The processor was also changed when the switch was, but was not likely the problem, especially considering the louder noise the tech heard when she observed the failure with the old power switch in place.  After 6 weeks of frustration with the Studio XPS 8100 desktop, I finally have the machine I was hoping for when I purchased it.  Hope this helps anyone who may be dealing with this same problem.  :emotion-1:

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

I have about ten of these machines on our floor and one of them started with these symptoms suddenly. It worked fine until I started installing a Centos6 upgrade from cd and then suddenly the reboots started. I've swapped the RAM, the hard drive, the video card, the power supply, and everything except for the motherboard and CPU.  It's more like a complete poweroff, I just hear then it's dead.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2013 17:00

Hi J4JES,

Have you run the Dell diagnostics? That's where I would start. If you run through all the diagnostics without a restart, then it's an OS problem, not a hardware issue.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2013 09:00

Sure I'll try it again, but it will need at least 30 min of up time without shutting down for that. I've replaced everything but the power supply and motherboard so far.

No Events found!