Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2004 10:00

System Profiler

Sorry to post on general hardware but not sure what's correct since there is no place on the software board and I am trying to get hardware info. I am having a problem using the Dell System Profiler on the Dell support web site to find the current configuration of my system. When I click current configuration and then agree to allow the test I get a message that says I have chosen not to allow the test. I have tried to click I agree at the top and bottom of the page and have even clicked on I don't agree just to see if the hyperlink might be wrong. Still no luck. Am I doing something wrong or missing something in the process? Profiler has worked for me in the past.

Thanks,

simdog

Dimension 8300 & Dimension XPS T700r

551 Posts

May 8th, 2004 12:00

Here is a link to a third party application that does a very good job of providing everything you would want to know about your machine.

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a=

1.9K Posts

May 8th, 2004 12:00

It sounds as if your IE security controls are set properly to have ActiveX prompt you in the way you've described.

Go to Windows Update (start/windows update) and see if you can access their site - if ActiveX is damaged or corrupted, WU won't be able to scan your system for the updates currently installed on your system.

I saw a system damaged in this way from the Sasser worm, even though the expected reboots were not present....

Post back.

( you can audit your system with a free download 'Belarc PC Audit'.  Go to www.google.com and have look for it. It will audit both hardware and software on your system.)

16 Posts

May 8th, 2004 14:00

Thanks for the replys. Windows update works fine. The Belarc site gave me what I was looking for and Sandra will have to wait until later to download (dial up and 8.9 mb takes awhile) but I plan to try it out too.

Still can't use the Dell system profiler though. Maybe it's a site problem.

Thanks!

simdog

1.9K Posts

May 8th, 2004 17:00

The profiler (obviously) won't work on a non-Dell system, fwiw....

70 Posts

May 9th, 2004 06:00

Same is happening to me. Either there is a problem at Dell or it may be because I recently uninstalled Dell Support to stop the Alert icon. Possible that the profiler at Dell Support site uses the Dell Support functions that came installed on the computer?? Still does not explain why it thinks I have chosen not to allow the test when I pushed agree.

Ken

16 Posts

May 9th, 2004 12:00

Interesting. I did not notice when this happened, but I un-installed the alert.ico also. I have downloaded both of the recommendations from the post any they are great. Just to figure what changed to get the weird reply from the Dell site. I don't plan to restore the alert, the system is running too good right now.

Anyone else having this problem?

simdog

Dimension 8300 (XP Pro) & Dimension XPST700r (XP Home)

No Events found!