Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2000 23:00

System resources

Hey could anybody tell me why my system resources are at 43% and my system is new!! I have just the basic software that came with the system and I have a 20 gig hard drive, 128ram, and 600mhz. This shouldn't be like this. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance
Bill Durr

394 Posts

March 3rd, 2000 23:00

Hi Bill,

Your resources free are so low because of all the preinstalled programming you have which has been set to load at startup. Each of these has a hook in your resources, and each lowers the level another few percentage points. Sooner or later, you're at 43% resources free at bootup.

You mustn't confuse resources with RAM. Resources involve the first 640K of memory, and this number is standard in any DOS/Windows based system, regardless of RAM count, OK?

What you need to do to improve your resources is this: go to Start | Run | enter msconfig into the field, press OK, then click the Startup tab. See all those checked boxes? Those are programs and hardware instructions set to load at startup, so they can be available to quicklaunch for you from the taskbar. You can safely uncheck a lot of it, but you need to reach a compromise with yourself regarding the convenience of quick-launching a program which can still be reached from the Start | Programs menu versus the improved system performance with higher resources free at bootup.

When you run msconfig | Startup, and you make a list of these preloading applications, you can find a great website by clicking here, which will take you to Denny Denham's Startup Page, OK? This website tells you what a lot of these items are and whether it is safe to uncheck them or not. Any you have which are not on this list, post them here, and someone here may be able to tell you what you need to know about them.

Good luck,
Kay

221 Posts

March 4th, 2000 19:00

Hi, For an easy explanation of resources try:
http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/index.htm
HTH

221 Posts

March 4th, 2000 21:00

Hi, I meant to give the exact page for the article on Resources. It is:
http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/a/resource.htm
Sorry about the oversite. HTH

2 Posts

March 5th, 2000 05:00

Thank you all for your advise and solutions. I feel much better about it. I was thinking that my system was a dog from the GetGo and I was hoing that wasn't the case.

Take care all,
Bill
No Events found!