Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2015 13:00

Text disappears when you mouse over/hover items on Start menu or any 'Metro' style app in Windows 10. ATI FireGL V3400 on Dell Precision 490 desktop

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue I have been experiencing since upgrading to Window 10. 

I have been experiencing an issue that in any 'Metro' styled app or within Windows itself, that text items with and without icons, depending on which app, disappear when you mouse over/hover it. Sometimes it'll come back when you hover over it again, and mostly not. This only effects the Windows 10 GUI and 'Metro' styled apps, it does not affect normal programs, only Windows built-in apps and Windows Store apps, and the Windows 10 GUI itself

I will click my start button and when the start menu comes up it will show all items fine (All Apps, Power, Settings, File Explorer, Network, etc...), but when I move my mouse upwards each item my mouse hovers on the left side of the start menu makes that item's text and icon disappear. (See linked screenshot below for before and after I hover an item and you'll see what I mean, as the items text and icon will just disappear).

I have tried reinstalling the video drivers for this ATI FireGL V3400, but the newest is out of date and is dated prior to the release of Windows 10 by a few years, so I am wondering if Dell has made any updates for Windows 10, or plans to for these older model PCs that would love a nice update for compatibility with newest version of Windows.

I am able to function and work normally most of the time, even when I hover and the text is removed, I'll remember which is which was Cut, Paste, or Unpin... and click the right one, but I am guessing at that point. This effects right click menus in "Metro" style apps, text and icons within the Windows GUI itself, or even right clicking a pinned item on my task bar brings up an entirely blank menu. I can see each menu entry get highlighted as I mouse over them, but there is no text to know what that menu item is. Sometimes mousing over makes the text disappear, and if it's already disappeared, hovering it again may bring it back, but 75% of the time it does not.

This gets frustrating when right clicking taskbar items (blank menu) and trying to navigate the 'Metro' styled areas in Windows itself, mousing over items causes that item's text and icon to disappear

I have reinstalled the video driver just to be sure and still have the same issue. I completely uninstalled my video device and Driver from Device Manager, and reinstalled with the latest driver from Dell, and rebooted and the issue remains. I installed Speccy, specifically for this post, to give some of my system info and info on the GFX card this desktop has. I currently have 1 normal monitor connected via DVI, and another DVI to HDMI cable running to my TV and is set to Extend, so I use the TV as a 2nd screen to watch Netflix. (BTW, the issue happens with or without the TV connected, extend of mirror, and with no 2nd monitor at all)

Any help on this is very appreciated. I am able to function on the PC, but with item's text disappearing it does cause me to struggle with whatever I am about to click as it wont have any text on it, so again I am guessing at that point. Screenshot links below. I am new to posting here on Dell's forums, I use the forums VERY often as I work in IT, but I usually just read up on issues when need be. This is my first actual post for an issue I am having myself. I say this because I pasted the link to the screenshot in various formats below as I am not familiar with the correct format of showing screenshots here.

Thanks again all for any ideas or help, and have a great day! (Lots of info below, scroll down all the way)

(Not sure how long the image will stay up, but I can re-post if need be) 

Link to Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/8udkywan1/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

s14.postimg.org/.../Screenshot_showing_text_disappearing_when_you_mo.png>

upload gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot showing text disappearing when you mo
upload gif

http://postimg.org/image/8udkywan1/

Quick system stats summary, and then below that is the more detailed info on my Graphics card:

-------------Start of PC Stats------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 32-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.00GHz 59 °C
Woodcrest 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB FB-DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0GU083 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
LD-2240 (1920x1080@60Hz)
TOSHIBA-TV (1280x1024@60Hz)
128MB ATI FireGL V3400 (ATI)
ATI FireGL V3400 (ATI)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
931GB Seagate ST31000333AS ATA Device (SATA) 49 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0748 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 37 °C
Optical Drives
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 ATA Device
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

-------------End of PC Stats------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------Start of Graphics info------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monitor 1
Name LD-2240 on ATI FireGL V3400
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels
State Enabled, Output devices support
Multiple displays Extended, Primary, Enabled
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Monitor 2
Name TOSHIBA-TV on ATI FireGL V3400
Current Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
Work Resolution 1280x984 pixels
State Enabled, Output devices support
Multiple displays Extended, Secondary, Enabled
Monitor Width 1280
Monitor Height 1024
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0
ATI FireGL V3400
Manufacturer ATI
Model FireGL V3400
GPU RV530GL
Device ID 1002-71D2
Subvendor ATI (1002)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Die Size 150 mm²
Transistors 157 M
Release Date 2006
DirectX Support 9.0c
DirectX Shader Model 3.0
OpenGL Support 2.0
Bios Core Clock 500.00
Bios Mem Clock 500.00
Driver version 8.342.0.0
BIOS Version 113-A67111-101
ROPs 4
Shaders Vertex 12/Pixel 125
Memory Type DDR2
Memory 128 MB
Bus Width 128 Bit
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
ATI FireGL V3400
Manufacturer ATI
Model FireGL V3400
GPU RV530
Device ID 1002-71F2
Subvendor ATI (1002)
Series FireGL
Current Performance Level Level 0
Die Size 150 mm²
Transistors 157 M
Release Date Oct 2005
DirectX Support 9.0c
DirectX Shader Model 3.0
Bios Core Clock 500.00
Bios Mem Clock 500.00
Driver version 8.342.0.0
ROPs 4
Shaders Vertex 12/Pixel 125
Memory Type GDDR3
Bus Width 32x4 (128 bit)
Anti Aliasing Modes 1x2OGSS, 2.25xOGSS, 2x2OGSS, 2x2OGSS+9, 4x4OGSS, 2xRGMS, 2xRGMS+5, 4xOGMS, 2x2T SGMS, 4x2T SGMS, 4x3T SGMS, 6x2T SGMS, 6x3T SGMS, Gamma, 6xSGMS, 4xRGMS, Trans SS
Filtering Modes Bilinear, Trilinear, 16x Anisotropic
Noise Level Moderate
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

-------------End of Graphics info------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Posts

October 6th, 2015 20:00

I experienced something today that I saw a while back but not since, along the same lines of text disappearing, but this time it doesn't disappear, it scrolls cryptic text across it. This one DOES affect the tiles on the right side of the Start menu. See Screenshot:

Link: http://i.imgur.com/uN26pxU.png?1  

http://i.imgur.com/uN26pxU.png?1

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 8th, 2015 12:00

Your issue is drivers for FIREGL 3400

The video driver is the MS EMERGENCY FALL BACK FAIL SAFE DRIVER not the LEGACY CATALYST DRIVER.

WIN10 is DIRECTX 12 AND DOES NOT HAVE DX9 OR DX10 drivers.  Those will have to be loaded back in.

Note: AMD’s DirectX 9 ATI FireGL graphics accelerators are not officially supported under Windows 7. If the user chooses to, they can install the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista graphics driver under Windows 7. Please be aware that none of the new Windows 7 graphics driver (WDDM 1.1) features are supported (as the Windows Vista level graphics driver is limited to WDDM 1.0 level support). Using the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista driver under Windows 7 is not officially supported by AMD, and as such AMD will not provide any form of customer support for users running in this configuration.

64 bit

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation/legacy?os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064&rev=8.583

32bit

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation/legacy?os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2032&rev=8.583

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Windows will not do proper resolution with the emergency fallback VGA driver.  The latest driver and the auto detect utility do NOT work on Legacy cards.

You have to install Legacy Direct play and DX9 and DX10 drivers from the Directx June 2010 patch.

You download the file and extract to a folder then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

Before previous drivers will work in windows7 or 8 or 10 you have to enable legacy features like DOTNET 2.0 3.5  and Directshow.  You must then install DIRECTX JUNE 2010 DRIVERS by downloading the file and extracting into a folder and running DXSETUP.exe.

Directx June 2010 which you download and extract to a FOLDER then run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

in control panel, all control panel items,  programs and features, Turn windows features on and off.  You have to be ONLINE when you do this because it will insist on downloading from the internet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Enable dotnet 2.0 3.5

enable legacy direct play

Install Directx June 2010 Patch.

Legacy audio APIs such as DirectSound, DirectShow, and the waveOutXxx functions enable applications to get and set the volume levels of audio streams.

Windows Media Source Filter. This behavior was maintained to ensure backward compatibility with applications that used the Windows Media Player 6.4. New applications should use the newer versions of QASF, which make the WM ASF Reader filter the default filter for playing ASF files.

For more information on the Windows Media suite of software development kits, see the Audio and Video section of the MDSN

You have to RE enable Direct play and legacy features and then install directx June 2010.

BEFORE trying to instlall the legacy driver.  You download the DirectxPatch and extract TO A FOLDER and then run DXsetup.exe from the extracted files.

AMD does not allow you to hotlink directly to the driver.

You have to manually select it and choose 32 bit or 64 bit

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Noise Level: Moderate
Framebuffer: 128 MB
Memory Type: GDDR3
Memory Bus Type: 32x4 (128 bit)
DirectX Compliance: 9.0c

3 Posts

October 8th, 2015 13:00

SpeedStep,

Thank you much for your thorough reply. I will definitely try your steps above when I get home from work tonight and reply letting you know the outcome. I definitely appreciate the info, as I wasn't aware of a few of the items you pointed out. (a lot more than I care to admit, lol)

So thanks again² :)

Have a good one!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 8th, 2015 13:00

Catalyst Control Center aka CCC is a DOT NET application.

The Driver will not install or work properly before Legacy Directshow and DOTNET 2.0 3.5 are added back along with the Directx patch June 2010.

No Events found!