Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 6th, 2004 14:00

USB Keyboard and Mouse not working for Optiplex GX260

I am a University Student worker trying to find a quick fix to a keyboard and mouse problem we've been having on our dells.  The model is Optiplex GX260.  On boot up the keyboard and mouse are recognized by the comptuer.  I can get into the bios and i see the light come on the optical mouse.   I can enter the bios and make any necessary changes there.  However, once I exit the bios and the first windows boot up screen appears the mouse light turns off and the keyboard ceases to function.  At the login screen, I am given no indication that my mouse has been recognized.  Sometimes this problem fixes itself by restarting the machine.  However I still have a couple machines that refuse to work even after 5 reboots.  Currently I have PS/2 Mouse and Keyboards hooked up to these computers as a temporay fix.  One last thing, I know these keyboards have worked on these computers before.  Anyone else experiencing a similar problem or know an easy fix?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1 Message

June 7th, 2004 19:00

We are having the same issue at our University.  Doesn't seem to be consistent, sometimes unplugging and replugging back in works, other times a reboot is needed.  We thought at first it might be an image issue, but are starting to think otherwise.

Anyone else seen sporadic problems with USB keyboard and mice on the GX260's w/ XP?

1 Message

July 11th, 2005 15:00

We have had the same issue in several of our labs in the school system I work in. We found that if you actually move the Keyboard and Mouse to a different set of USB connectors in the back, it actually starts working. We think that one set of connectors is actually 1.1 and another set is 2.0; not sure though. Post if a fix is found.

Thanks

6 Posts

September 16th, 2005 17:00

We are experiencing what appears to be the same problem on 5 of our GX280s. We have even gone so far as to replace the motherboards on 2; which did not have an effect. I'm suspecting it's my image but not sure at the moment. It doesn't make sense why only 5 have this problem and the rest don't - and that they are all running the same image.

6 Posts

September 20th, 2005 12:00

We found our problem. It's the keyboards. Although the model is the same, we have some that are rev A00 while others are A01

It seems that Windows XP uses "USB composite Device" drivers for the A01 keyboards.

November 23rd, 2008 19:00

It's the chip-set in the KEYBOARD! of all thngs....

Dell Change suppliers/redesign the keyboard but chips change, even may look the same.

We have to keep the Keyboard and Ghost together.

That way we can build the machine using the Ghost, then once logged in, plug in the Keyboard the user will have (in all the on-board USB's).

Then it works for the user....

Sorted

No Events found!