Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 15:00

USB or Onboard CD ROM Drive Not Present (Dell Dimension 8400)

Hi Experts,

My HDD corrupted so bought a new, when I tried to install Windows XP BIOS shows "USB or Onboard CD ROM Drive Not Present"

Optical IDE drive is  Toshiba Samsung CD-RW (Model SW-252)

1. Optical Drive, IDE Ribbon cable, and Power cable are working properly (Checked them in another computer)

2. Jumper is on 'Cable Select'

3. Both ends of IDE Ribbon Cable are correctly installed on Drive and Motherboard

Motherboard failure?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 28th, 2009 16:00

riyazi  

Try clearing the CMOS/BIOS and see what happens.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  and HERE  

Bev.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for reply shesagordie,

Cleared the BIOS didn't work, then Cleared CMOS and tried to start the machine but no reaction from it when I pressed the Power/On button.. pls help

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 29th, 2009 12:00

riyazi 

Have you checked the system setup, to see that the CD/ROM is enabled [on]?

I known that you checked the IDE data ribbon cable, but it may be worth try a new cable.

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Are the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case, HERE , lite?

Bev.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2009 01:00

USB or Onboard CD ROM Drive Not Present (Dell Dimension 8400) SOLVED..Solved...Solved

After Clearing CMOS it works CD ROM Drive is Present now, Thank you very much you are a genius..!! God bless you..solved and learnt something very important from you

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 30th, 2009 11:00

riyazi 

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved and thank you, for the heads up.    :emotion-11:

Bev.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2009 14:00

How does one clear the CMOS?  On my boot sequence screen it hows:

1.  Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive (not present)  I am  thinking how can it boot if it is present? 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 10th, 2009 14:00

nanajan01

Go HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

for the procedures for clearing the NVRAM/CMOS.

Bev.

No Events found!