Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2009 08:00

Upgrade Graphics Card in Dimension 5150

I am looking to upgrade the graphics card in a Dimension 5150 from the integrated kit to something along the lines of an ATI 512mb but I've got to be honest when I say I don't really understand the differences between the different variants of the same card.

I see ebuyer have a 1gb card for only £65 but I'm guessing this wont work with the Dimension 5150.

Basically I would be extremely grateful if someone could recommend a card that is compatible.

Many thanks

1.7K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 10:00

That card will work on your system.  Generally with today's cards, you would be mostly looking at either 512MB of video ram or 1GB of video ram.  It does not matter which one you choose.  The 1GB cards are usually priced higher.  You only need them if you have a high resolution monitor (such as a 24") and you can use these higher resolutions in gaming.  Or, another reason is turning up what is called Antialiasing in gaming which seems to have some benefit with more video ram.  However, with a card like the HD 4650, it would not be necessary since it would not be capable of running at the higher resolutions and higher settings with the newer games.  The HD 4650 is a pretty decent card.  The only other one you might want to consider is the HD 4670 which would be a step up depending on how much you want to spend or what purpose you have for getting a video card.  Both of these cards are priced really well and are good choices. 

1.7K Posts

That's the one I would go with since you do not have to worry about any additional hookup from your power supply (you do not have the PCIe 6-Pin cable anyway which some video cards require) and it is a good performing card for the cost.  I'm not sure where you shop, but HERE is a 4670 for only $59.99 after $10 MIR. 

4 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade for gaming purposes and so I think I'm right in saying 4670 would be the best bet? And a 512mb would be able?

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 13:00

Im in the UK, I'll prob be using ebuyer or novatech? I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and see what you think.

1.7K Posts

I prefer the Sapphire 512MB one.  The choice is yours, but I just have a preference towards Sapphire. 

3.7K Posts

Im in the UK, I'll prob be using ebuyer or novatech? I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and see what you think.

Hi barcanez, I got my card from overclockers. JMICHAEL recommend the ATI 4670, and you can get it HERE.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2009 14:00

which 1 is the best out of the list of the HD4670 and same card but called  the "passive" both made by sapphire , and i trust they will both run on 305 power unit on the 5150

4 Posts

April 4th, 2009 04:00

which 1 is the best out of the list of the HD4670 and same card but called  the "passive" both made by sapphire , and i trust they will both run on 305 power unit on the 5150

I know what you mean, I see "ultimate" and "passive" versions of the card. The only difference I can see other than the price is that one is supposed to be quieter. Does anyone know if both cards are ok for Dimension 5150? 

EDIT: As best as I can see the ultimate card is a littler larger than the standard. So I think i'm going go with the standard version just to be safe.

No Events found!