Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dell Inspiron 545-006B

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Width 6.9 in

Depth 17.4 in

Height 14.8 in

Graphics: 256 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450

Video memory: 256 MB

Sound card - Integrated

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 / 2.33 GHz OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

RAM: 8 GB DDR II SDRAM Cache Memory Type L2 cache

Installed Size 4 MB

Mainboard Data bus speed 1333 MHz

Hard Drive 1 TB - Standard - Serial ATA

Optical Storage: Type DVD+/-RW / CD-RW

Expansion Bays Total (Free) 1 ( 1 ) x External - 3.5 in, Internal - 5.25 in, 3.5 in

Expansion Slots Total (Free) Memory, Memory card reader, PCI, PCI Express x1, PCI Express x16

Interfaces 6 x USB 2.0 - USB 2.0, Modem - RJ-11, Ethernet - RJ-45

PSU: 300 Watt DC Power Supply( I think I didn't actually open it up to check that was on the specs list I found somewhere so It might be different I'll post it if its different when I check.)

I checked the power supply and It is 300watt and it says 12v 18A

This does play some games but at low settings I don't need a High end card and don't think I could get one on my small budget. I'm looking for a card that will play most new games and some MMOs with good performance I'm a casual player so I don't play a lot but would like good performance for when I do play.

I'm assuming in order to do this I'll need to also get a better PSU I may have to do this in two parts save up for the PSU then the Card but I want to stay as low as I can in price.

So any recommendations are welcome I was doing some checking and saw that Antec EarthWatts were recommended for good PSU but they don't come with power cords so I'm assuming the one I have currently will work if not I think they sell them for a few dollars.

So what should I get and If I need a new PSU what size and brand would you recommend?

1.7K Posts

February 20th, 2010 05:00

Since you don't want to have a lot of expense, I would recommend that you just get the ATI HD 4670 for right now.  This is probably the least expensive card out today that will play most any game and be much better than your HD 3450 and you would not have to worry about replacing the power supply.  HERE is one I would recommend.  It also has 1GB of video ram versus only 256mb on your current card. 

February 20th, 2010 10:00

I looked at the specs for that and it says it needs a 400watt PSU  I was doing some more searching and saw that some people recommend the Geforce GT 240 and I looked it up and it specs say it needs a 300 Watt

I'm still looking for recommendations. Thanks

I updated my original post my power supply is 300 Watt and it also says 12v 18A.

1.7K Posts

February 20th, 2010 16:00

The HD 4670 does not need a 400W PSU.  It doesn't use much more power than the GT 240.  The GT 240 is a higher performing card so if you want to spend the extra money for it then that's fine but make sure you get one with GDDR5 memory versus GDDR3 since they come both ways.  Both cards have low power consumption as you can see from this chart and this is at peak level such as gaming.  Manufacturers always over state what is actually needed by these video cards.  Again, the GT 240 would be the better performance card if you want to spend a bit more for it.

February 20th, 2010 21:00

Okay thanks

No Events found!