Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2014 02:00

Upgrade XPS 8700 to CUDA-Enabled graphic card

I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop that comes with AMD Radeon R9 270 with 2GB  GDDR5 graphic card.  I am doing 3D modeling and rendering using Revit, 3DS max, Rhino and Autocad for my architecture course at uni. 

I would like to change the graphic card to a CUDA-Enabled graphic card which I can take advantage of for some of the software and renderers that use CUDA GPU processing. Can anyone suggest a card that can fit and replace the Radeon Card without changing anything else.  I am looking at a nvidia Quadro K2000 such as Leadtek Quadro K2000. Would this work for the PC?

I am not a hardware software guy so any suggestion is much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Ross

2 Posts

August 14th, 2014 15:00

No, from my research the more powerful CUDA based cards require change of power supply on the PC. I maxed out the memory instead and will see if that will help with my 3D work. Otherwise I will look at the upgrade again at a later stage. Let me know if you find out anything :emotion-1:. 

Cheers!

2 Posts

August 14th, 2014 15:00

I' m looking to do the same thing.  Were you ever able to find an answer?

Gary

2 Posts

August 14th, 2014 16:00

Will do, but it seems like the PSU would need to be upgraded and that the motherboard may not like that. I bought the PC for the i7 processors as opposed to the Xeons in a similarly priced workststion.  I didn't realize I was limiting myself so much by doing so.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 15th, 2014 07:00

"3DS max, Rhino and Autocad" require a QUADRO card with certified Drivers.

http://www.nvidia.in/object/quadro-autocad-in.html

NVIDIA professional graphics provide leading performance that also lets you easily use the other applications in the AutoCAD Design Suite — such as 3ds Max — with complete confidence. This is something integrated graphics just can’t handle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133468

Dell designs, tests, and optimizes Dell Precision™ workstations to support Autodesk applications and the needs of professional Autodesk product users.

No Events found!