Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2014 15:00

Video Card Crash

I have an Alienware X51 R2 with the GTX 645 and Intel 4600.

The set up I have is Dell LED Screen to HDMI to NVIDIA.
47Inch LG 3D TV to HDMI to Intel 4600.

All the drivers are up to date as far as I know.

The problem that I am having is that when I switch Inputs on the TV to TV or HDMI 2 (Computer is on HDMI 1), The Dell LED Goes black for a second, The Intel video card Crashes and the sound when plunging in a Device goes off (USB Device input sound).  Some times The card recovers. Some times the computer restarts, others it may freeze. 

Please give me your ideas on a fix. 

15 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 16:00

Yeah I was just about to give that a shot. I only use the TV for VLC videos and stuff so I figured I'd leave the NVIDIA out of it.

Ill have to find a DVI then :S

14 Posts

DVI can support 2560x1600, max with current HDMI is 1920x1080.

Supposedly a new HDMI standard will allow higher reslution, but the bandwidth isn't possible with the cable.  DisplayPort might be another alternative.  The downside with DVI, is that it doesn't support sound transmission over the same cables (there are some unofficial extensions that I've heard, "do", support this, but the standard doesn't).  I think (am not sure) 0-- check wikipedia, that display port supports sound...

I am sure that the new HDMI standard will support higher res -- since '4K' (about 2x 1920x1080 in both directions -- i.e. 4x the resolution) is rapidly becoming more common.

What is the 'dell LED'... is there only 1 model?  I have a dell 2560x1600 (3008WFP) wa/digital (DVI) style connector (DVI's can come in half and full ... half where every other pin is connected, full where all are connected...the full ones (sometimes called DVI-2) appear to be the original design, with the half-ones released first to compete with cheaper HDMI cables...

1.5K Posts

GTX 645 to Dell LED via DVI - There's no difference in video quality between HDMI and DVI. 

GTX 645 to LG TV via HDMI.  

Don't use HD 4600 integrated graphics. 

15 Posts

On the other hand the integrated should work. If anyone has a fix let me know.

15 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 17:00

Dell s2740L. The HDMI in the dell to the Nvidia is not the problem. The Problem is Intel to TV. When I switch Inputs it crashes. I know I can go get a DVI cable and plug in. The problem there is I shouldn't have to. Also the TV is and has 2 HDMI only, So I just ordered a DVI to HDMI to solve the problem. Again I shouldn't have to. Sounds not a problem, I have the Optical sound to Logitech Z5500. 

No Events found!