Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2009 23:00

Video drivers out of date for Intel Q45/GMA 4500?

I've been having trouble with DisplayPort video on my Optiplex 960 with integrated video (Intel Q45/GMA 4500), under Vista for Business 64-bit.  Generally, the video signal is unreliable when the machine wakes from sleep mode, and at boot time.  Sometimes the display is blank ("No Signal" on the monitor).  Other times the resolution is wrong, or an 800x600 desktop appears in the upper-left corner of my 1920x1200 display.  Other times the desktop resolution is 1920x1200, but I only see an 800x600 section of it.  Other times things seem okay, but the monitor has disappeared from the Device Manager, or the list of available resolutions is missing entries.  If I use a DP->DVI adapter, then the mix of symptoms is a little different, but it still doesn't work reliably.

I've been working with the tech support folks, but we still haven't been able to isolate the problem.  They suggested that it could be the monitor's fault (not surprising, since I'm using an HP LP2475w).  The LP2475w has its fair share of technical advisories, but the DVI ports at least seem stable with my other computers, so I think the problem lies elsewhere.

Tech support also recommended re-installing the video driver.  That didn't help, since I already had the latest version (7.15.10.1591).  However, I noticed that Intel's site had a newer version (7.15.10.1688).  I installed it, and I think it may have helped.  Since installing it, the display has consistently stayed at 1920x1200.  I still get "No Signal" in some situations, but that could be the monitor's fault.  The Intel driver release notes mention two particularly suspicious bugs that were fixed in build1688:

Display resolution changes to 800X600 after resuming from hibernate or standby state (S4 or S3).

Display resolution changes to 800x600 after resolution disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable.

Anyway, I'm sharing this as a tip for anyone who's desperate enough to try it.  Also, if anyone has tips that might help me, please share!  Thx.

7 Posts

June 19th, 2009 15:00

I am giving up on the integrated Intel Q45 GMA 4500 video.  I bought an NVIDIA card instead.  I chose NVIDIA over ATI because I saw a lot of ATI driver problem reports related to power management in various web forums.

With my new NVIDIA card, the DisplayPort video output is reliable when the system wakes up from sleep mode.  I still have one problem, though: if the monitor is powered off when the system wakes up, the system hangs.  In that state, the monitor shows "No Video", I can't log in using Remote Desktop, and the system won't go back into sleep mode on its own.

CONFIGURATION WITH STABLE VIDEO:

Dell Optiplex 960 Small Form Factor
Windows Vista for Business 64-bit
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 (PNY VCQ295NVS-X16-PB  low profile dual DisplayPort PCIx16 add-in card)
NVIDA driver version 186.18
HP LP2475w flat-panel display (DisplayPort input)

122 Posts

August 25th, 2009 10:00

hello everyone, i dont know how much help i will be on the issue; however,  whoever has the nvidia quadro there is know a new driver for all nvidia cards it is the 190 or something like that but all of you people with the integrated graphics maybe a connections loose or something i really dont know i have never heard of this.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2010 02:00

I am having similar issues to other posters on this thread. In my case however the monitors wake up without problem in most cases except when I have been working from home using RDP. In that case my left monitor (which is the main one) doesn't wake up. The other does (LED turns blue), but stays black. So no background.

When I then reconnect the RDP session (being SysAdmin I always have some spare computer laying around), I disable the Video driver. Immediately my right monitor shows a logon display (albeit in a lousy resolution obviously). After I log on, I enable the video driver and everything just works again.

My system is:

• Optiplex 960 w/ 8GB
  • ATI 3470
  • 2 x Dell 1909W
  • Windows 2008 R2

I don't expect much from this, but maybe adding more and more complaints will lead to something in the long run. I will call support as well.

Jan

June 26th, 2013 08:00

Piling on.

Same problem. Running multiple monitors with Dell P2310H as main due to DP connection.

Dell XPS 7100

Windows 7

ATI 5770 graphics card

About one out of every ten "wake-ups" the P2310H does not respond. Turning power on and off doesn't help. Must hard crash system and re-boot.

3 Posts

November 24th, 2014 11:00

I have the same problem with displayport -hdmi connection in sleep mode of my dell optiplex 960. The power light turn to steady amber and the 1 and 2 tests are blinking then the computer shut down. I had to try 4 or 5 time to reboot it from crash.

Curiously it worked fine the last four months and I did not experience any problem with the sleep mode or system reboot.

No Events found!