Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

11 Posts

August 4th, 2009 21:00

I need service tags from the following sent to me in a private message -

jov987
pjricc
cachecacher
ripfester
simon06
Tuck333

pm sent. thanks.

36 Posts

August 5th, 2009 14:00

Guys,

I have the 435T and ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and it should be delivered today. The BIOS is A9. I'll report back if the same problem exists you folks are experiencing. I am not very optomistic after reading this thread.

5 Posts

August 5th, 2009 17:00

PM sent.  Also, my hang on shutdown problem was indeed a different (driver-related) issue, so my symptoms regarding the keyboard are the same as everybody else's.  Works fine in Windows 7 RTM, hangs and doesn't work when BIOS is driving it.

Has anybody tried another Logitech USB keyboard?  I don't have any, but if there's another model that works fine, it might help Dell/Logitech work out what the issue is.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2009 20:00

Has anybody tried another Logitech USB keyboard?  I don't have any, but if there's another model that works fine, it might help Dell/Logitech work out what the issue is.

Yes, I had to fall back to my Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard that I was trying to replace with the Ultrathin Illuminated keyboard.   The G15 worked well on my Vostro 420 before and after my failed Ultrathin experiment. 

Chris, I just noticed your post today so apologies for the late PM re: service tag.  Also, as I indicated in my PM, I had plugged the Ultrathin keyboard into both the front and back USB ports on my Vostro during many troubleshooting attempts - the results were the same in either case.

edit:  My Ultrathin was purchase from Amazon.com, not Dell, and I coincidentally did swap my first Ultrathin keyboard with another from Amazon thinking it was a defective keyboard - the second Logitech UT keyboard had the same problems as the first, which is what inspired me to do a better job searching the Internet for this problem that ultimately led me here.

36 Posts

August 5th, 2009 20:00

Installed the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and everything reported is identical to the other users at start up. I am even experiencing some funky stutters using basic browser and mail. I rebooted a few times and it seems to have stabilized. The Dell splash screen hangs for a good amount of time and then boots to the operating system.

I used the VB Script to find reboot time and the numbers were 162, 171, 182, 202 and 213. These are high numbers as with the basic Dell keyboard, I was getting 89 with a high of maybe 120. The current BIOS install is A09. I swapped out the old keyboard for stock keyboard that came with the machine and boot times became normal. I also tried the Illuminated keyboard on my wife's Dimension and it worked fine. Now she wants one. Gezzzzzzzz. :emotion-1:

At this point, does it make sense to contact Logitech or just wait for information on this thread?? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris: I'll send you the Service Tag via PM.

Thanks,

Charles

5 Posts

August 5th, 2009 22:00

Doing some digging with Google I've run across a few other hits on the Illuminated Keyboard:

• "... I don´t have access to BIOS at POST(DEL) or DOS via USB Keyboard Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. In Windoes Vista Utlimat 64bit everything works fine." (MSI P7N Diamond)
  • "My new P6T was locking up during POST when I had my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard plugged in. Removed it and it works fine, even with a different (Microsoft Ergonomic 4000) USB keyboard plugged in." (ASUS P6T)
  • "Version 1.4 of the BIOS on the ASRock website says it’s an update for what? You guessed it! 'Logitech illuminated keyboard'!!" (ASRock P45TS)

So, it seems like one of two things.  Either the LIK has a serious bug that causes it to be incompatible with a plethora of new BIOSes, or all of these boards including the Dells use the same BIOS code and somehow they just don't see eye-to-eye (bug in BIOS, incorrect implementation of USB spec, etc.).  If it's the latter, apparently Dell v1.1.4 does not include the same update as ASRock v1.4, or the update just doesn't help.

I guess we'll wait to hear what Dell has to say.

36 Posts

August 6th, 2009 00:00

Gents,

Do you think it is best to be the squeaky wheel and try to get some grease from Logitech about this issue? I was perusing the Logi forum today and found one thread on the issue... If it's the keyboard, then a recall would be appropriate. I scanned the Newegg reviews on this keyboard briefly and did not see any mention of this issue some of us are experiencing.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2009 08:00

Do you think it is best to be the squeaky wheel and try to get some grease from Logitech about this issue?

You can certainly try but if the thread over on the Logitech forum called, "Once again we were unable to successfully install SetPoint on your system," is any indication of Logitech's support you will discover that there seems to be a big disconnect between Logitech support and their software/hardware group.  

To sum up that thread, Logitech's SetPoint installer fails near the end of the install of that utility/driver package with a generic message about the installer being unsuccessful and to reboot to try again.  The user reboots and then the message "Once again we were unable to successfully install SetPoint on your system" appears.  This Setpoint problem has been around since late last year as well and many of the user-discovered solutions in that thread have limited success.  For me none of them worked.

For Logitech to be dragging their heals on that solution gives me absolutely zero hope that they would take this particular one seriously.  YMMV...

36 Posts

August 6th, 2009 09:00

[quote user="Chas_T"]

Do you think it is best to be the squeaky wheel and try to get some grease from Logitech about this issue?

You can certainly try but if the thread over on the Logitech forum called, "Once again we were unable to successfully install SetPoint on your system," is any indication of Logitech's support you will discover that there seems to be a big disconnect between Logitech support and their software/hardware group.  

To sum up that thread, Logitech's SetPoint installer fails near the end of the install of that utility/driver package with a generic message about the installer being unsuccessful and to reboot to try again.  The user reboots and then the message "Once again we were unable to successfully install SetPoint on your system" appears.  This Setpoint problem has been around since late last year as well and many of the user-discovered solutions in that thread have limited success.  For me none of them worked.

For Logitech to be dragging their heals on that solution gives me absolutely zero hope that they would take this particular one seriously.  YMMV...

[/quote]

Thank you for the insight into Logitech's disinterest in resolving an install issue. As you write, there is little hope that they would look into the issues we are dealing with on a keyboard that seems to increase start up time considerably. Large company attention to user issues if they are small in number,  unless someone like Chris is in your corner, seem to be neglected at least on the subsurface. However, hope springs eternal and I'll give them a call or email them and see what occurs. I am far from a technical guru, but it would seem the issue would be with the PC, rather then the peripheral  However, in an ideal world wouldn't it be nice if Dell and Logitech communicated on the issue and resolved this issue. Hopefully Chris can provide some insight in the coming days.

20 Posts

August 7th, 2009 18:00

Hello all,

I just now discovered this thread and wanted to say that I have the same problem. I had the Logitech illuminated keyboard before getting my Dell 435T and am so disappointed that I can't use it any longer. The keyboard is now stored in the box waiting for a solution.

Does anyone know of an illuminated keyboard of decent quality that will work with the 435T? I sure miss being able to see the keys in the dark.

36 Posts

August 7th, 2009 20:00

I am curious if anyone has this keyboard with the 435T and it's working properly. That information would be interesting to me.

On a side note, the wife saw the keyboard, loved the feel, the illuminated keys, sleek design and and I have lost the bugger forever, unless I buy another one. :emotion-40: The keyboard connected to a Inspiron 531, Vista machine and it boots and works like a dream. In all my years of using computers, I've never had a keyboard exhibit this behavior.

36 Posts

August 13th, 2009 20:00

Any updates/information on this issue with the Logi Illuminated Keyboard? I would think considering all the machines Dell sells, this keyboard is working properly on some PC's that have been reported to have a problem.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2009 08:00

As to the customer service response from Logitech and Dell. I submitted a customer service request on Logitech's website and received a prompt response suggesting I try the illuminated keyboard on another computer, which I did and promptly responded back to them (it worked fine on a WinXP machine, didn't have another Vista computer). Then silence. Days went by and nothing, I replied to there email again, nothing. I updated my information on their customer service page, nothing. I finally submitted the customer service request anew and received a prompt reply (allegedly from the same tech "Carmen") stating that being this was a duplicate request they would list the first request as "solved" and once that ticket clears their tech support morass they would contact me about my resubmission. That was a week plus ago and nothing. I really liked the keyboard's touch and the lighted keys, but you dread having to restart or start your computer in the morning, might as well go make breakfast or something. I believe Logitech in general makes good products, but if you have a problem with one their tech support response is inadequate at best.

As to Dell's support, I contacted Dell customer service and the responded quickly. I tried their suggestions which didn't work and advised them of my findings, they were going to have someone from the specialized software department call me to try and address the issue, that was on August 3rd, here we are 13 days later and never heard anything more. If we were to buy products based on these examples, Dell and Logitech would be off the list, but I'm afraid this has become the norm for the industry.

Tuck

p.s. to TOS20 if your response to your customers problems was as rapid as your censorship, people won't have to post here.

36 Posts

August 17th, 2009 09:00

Tuck,

Thanks for the detailed post. I scrubbed the Illuminated Key Board until this is issue, if ever is resolved. I've numerous keyboards lying around so I can easily get by the issue. It is rather interesting to me that an option for the 435T under the Keyboard area still has the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard as an option. Please report back if you hear anything from either Dell or Logitech.

5 Posts

August 17th, 2009 14:00

I'm not surprised that Logitech is none too concerned.  This is one of those unfortunate situations where it's easy enough for both parties to blame each other.  In a way, that's probably right.  If the keyboard is to blame, why does every other BIOS work with it?  And if the BIOS is to blame, why does every other keyboard work with it?Basically, the number of customers affected is too small for Logitech or Dell to worry about recalling or patching their product, especially when the evidence is inconclusive.  Threatening to shelve the keyboard isn't likely to move Logitech; and isn't likely to move Dell either (at least threaten to stop buying Dell's, if you're here). :emotion-5:

One important point, however: Dell happens to be in the unique position of selling both items, as a package no less.  So while Dell the computer OEM may not care if their computers have a bug, Dell the system vendor should most certainly care that they are selling a package that does not work out of the box.  Anybody who bought the keyboard from Dell is entitled to some sort of amends, whether a refund or a patch.

Dell folks, would you please give us some kind of update?  Please keep in mind that while you might be able to ignore the delay on boot we are experiencing, you cannot ignore the fact that the keyboard you sold (are selling) as a package with your computers is incapable of entering BIOS setup.

No Events found!