Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

8 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 09:00

We shouldn't have to go through the hassle of unplugging our keyboard just to turn on our computer. Obviously, Dell wants us to just give up and go away. I think we'd have better results by getting the word out via a website like Gizmodo, Engadget or The Consumerist. Personally, I'll just look elsewhere for my new Windows 7 laptop.

1 Message

October 28th, 2009 06:00

I recently bought a Vostro 220s and the nice Logitech Illuminated Keyboard...  Is there a fix yet or are we still waiting?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2009 08:00

I have re-escalated this issue today. They will want to capture your keyboards. As to what they will send as a replacement, I have no idea and I do not know the capture details.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2009 09:00

If I comprehend your post correctly, there will NOT BE a fix (BIOS/Hardware) wherever the problem lies INTERNALLY in the Dell XPS 9000 BOX to correct this issue of the Logi Illuminated keyboard freezing and taking an exorbitant time to boot?
* That is not what I said. Before any kind of fix can be developed, they have to capture the keyboards and try to replicate the issue. If they can replicate the issue, we would go from there to Logitech and give them our findings.

Therefore, anyone who purchased the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard from Dell in conjunction with the XPS9000, will be asked to return the keyboard and then receive some form of hardware/monetary replacement to correct this issue?
* I have no idea about all that speculation. Those discussions are way above my paygrade.

36 Posts

October 28th, 2009 09:00

Chris,

If I comprehend your post correctly, there will NOT BE a fix (BIOS/Hardware) wherever the problem lies INTERNALLY in the Dell XPS 9000 BOX to correct this issue of the Logi Illuminated keyboard freezing and taking an exorbitant time to boot?

Therefore, anyone who purchased the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard from Dell in conjunction with the XPS9000, will be asked to return the keyboard and then receive some form of hardware/monetary replacement to correct this issue?

I appreciate you being involved with this issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2009 10:00

Just heard from engineering, they not only want to capture the keyboard, they also want to capture your PC that shows the issue. Of course this means you will be getting a replacement like for like keyboard and PC. Anyone up for this? If yes, do not format the hard disk drive, just delete your personal data, favorites, etc. I will need the following in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
PC Service Tag number:
Reason: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and PC Capture & Exchange

30 Posts

October 28th, 2009 10:00

I have re-escalated this issue today. They will want to capture your keyboards. As to what they will send as a replacement, I have no idea and I do not know the capture details.

I already went through a two-week troublshooting campaign including a keyboard swap with Logitech after receiving my new 435T and attaching a Logitech illuminated keyboard to it. My Dell exhibits the same ponderous delay at boot time whenever the Logitech keyboard is attached. I also am unable to use the key sequence to access the bios with the Logitech. It's as if the 435T BIOS doesn't recognize the keyboard until it boots into windows.

I didn't buy my Logitech from Dell, it was a gift. But it is of course identical to those sold by Dell. I'd be happy to send it to you if that would help find a solution. Logitech has washed their hands of the problem.

20 Posts

October 28th, 2009 16:00

Sounds like pure nonsense wanting someone to send in their keyboard and computer. All they got to do is grab a Logitech lighted  keyboard and hook it to a 435T and the problem will be there.

36 Posts

October 28th, 2009 17:00

I would agree with bw_777's statement as I thought the same initially, but did not have the "Balls" to write it. :emotion-40:

Chris: I have the highest respect for YOU taking the initiative in this and many other situations here on the forum, but what bw_77 writes, would seem to be at least a start if Dell wants to address the problem. I understand you are somewhat limited in your personal power regarding the Logitech lighted keyboard issue. Good soldiers follow orders and I sense you are that type of individual.

Questions:

1. Do you have any information at all if Dell has even tried what bw_777 suggests?

2. Do you also have any information if any of these lighted keyboards have functioned properly with the XPS9000/435T that have been sold by Dell?

In one of my posts I asked for feedback if anyone has achieved success with the 435T/Logitech keyboard combo and there was none. However, that zero feedback is far from an accurate survey. Again, i am sure all the users appreciate your help and I am not being disrespectful to you with my questions or comments.

5 Posts

October 29th, 2009 10:00

Chris, I agree with Chas and I appreciate you going to bat for us.

That said, If this is for engineering to diagnose the problem, it does seem to be complete nonsense given that it's seen across a wide variety of Dell machines and a very specific keyboard, both of which are easily available.  In fact, if it will help the diagnostics, I can plug in a port 80 card and report back the BIOS diagnostic codes that are sent during the hang.  That should clearly implicate the offending code.

However, it's possible that this is not for diagnosis at all, but instead for a fix that can't be done with a patch.  Chris, can you confirm whether the "like for like" PC and keyboard combo that we would receive will not exhibit the problem; or is this really just for diagnostic samples?  If it's for diagnosis, take the PC and keyboard you would have sent us and just open them up--there's a sample.

Also, on the exchange, I think it would be reasonable to allow us to keep the hard drive from our existing machine and install it in a new empty machine.  My wife isn't going to go for the swap if she'll have to re-image the machine and set it up all over again, that's just too much pain.  The OS has nothing to do with the problem, and it will reproduce even without a hard drive installed since it happens before BIOS setup.  Will Dell cross-ship the replacements (for 0 customer down time)?

Again, thanks keeping this issue alive on behalf of all of us.

30 Posts

October 29th, 2009 10:00

No way I'm going to throw out all the time and effort I put into setting up my new Dell and return it when engineering could easily pull one off the line, plug in a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and work the problem until it's resolved. Frankly it's ludicrous to even suggest it.

If we make this difficult enough people will stop complaining? Nah, couldn't be that.

Just heard from engineering, they not only want to capture the keyboard, they also want to capture your PC that shows the issue. Of course this means you will be getting a replacement like for like keyboard and PC. Anyone up for this? If yes, do not format the hard disk drive, just delete your personal data, favorites, etc. I will need the following in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
PC Service Tag number:
Reason: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and PC Capture & Exchange

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2009 11:00

I sent your comments to engineering.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2009 02:00

As of 10-29-09 Dell has an XPS435 and a LIK to do whatever they wish with.  I got so fed up I returned mine.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 30th, 2009 12:00

Still investigating this guys.

30 Posts

November 8th, 2009 17:00

Still investigating this guys.

Thanks for the update Chris.

No Events found!