Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2003 15:00

WIndows 98 SE does not support USB 2

Hi,

Following my attempts to install a USB 2 card on my Dimension D4100 running Windows 98 SE, I found this article  

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/bus/USB/USB2support.mspx

To quote one line from the article.

"Microsoft will not provide USB 2.0 support for the Windows 9x platform or Windows NT® 4.0."

The two USB 2.0 cards I've tried to use have caused problems, mainly reboots and redetects. Both cards had instructions that stated that they would work under Windows 98 SE. No hardware spec was given for processor or memory I have P3, 933Mhz & 512 MB.

Reading through the spec for PCI USB 2.0 cards from a variety of sites, they all state a minimum O/S of Windows 98 SE.

The question arises about O/S and my hardware. Would the D4100 support a PCI USB 2 card if I upgrade ( with a clean re-install ) to XP.

TIA

Ceri

254 Posts

September 21st, 2003 16:00

Reboots and rededects indicate to me that you do not have the PCI USB 2.0 adapter card seated fully.  Try removing the card and installing it again making sure it is in all the way. 

The USB 2.0 adapter card comes with the drives (as you know) that will support the 2.0 High-Speed implementation.  I don't think you have an OS problem here, but as was previouslly stated, you may have installed it improperly.  Were the installation directions clear as whether you should load the drivers first then shut down and install the PCI card, or vise-versa and reboot?

You may also wish to call the support number of the manufacturer of the adapter cards... they should be able to assist you as well.

Good Luck

28K Posts

September 21st, 2003 16:00

Ceri,

Although Microsoft is not going to release USB 2 support for Windows 98SE, the manufacturers of USB 2.0 PCI add-in cards have released such drivers.  I have Windows 98SE systems that have USB 2.0 PCI cards working, but these add-in cards came with drivers for 98SE.  I know there are some cards that don't come with drivers, assuming that Microsoft will provide the drivers.  These cards will not work with 98SE since Microsoft doesn't provide drivers.  Do the cards you have tired to installed come with 98SE drivers?  I seem to recall from your previous messages that you can't even get Windows to recognize the cards.  If so, then this seems to be a different problem unless it is required that the drivers be installed first, before the cards are physically installed.

Steve 

1.7K Posts

September 21st, 2003 17:00

Volcano 11, Steve & tedh10000

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The literature, catalogue description or packaging that came with both cards stated they would run under Win 98 SE.

The instructions (treeware & printed out pages from the PDF file manual ) advised the cards should be installed first in a vacant PCI slot. I had three to choose from and then the drivers installed when the hardware detection wizard came up, which is how it worked on initial installation both times. The Windows harware detection wizard came up normally each time, showing the cards were working as plug & pray.

My only other PCI cards are OEM Creative Sound Sound and Netgear FA312TX NIC. I need the NIC to connect to my ADSL router but could ditch the sound card.

The second card did actually show in Device Manager that USB 2 Root Hub was installed, but then redetected the card each time, when the system went through the reboot required with the final message of the installation process. I was using and always tend to use the short cut hot key to Device Manager, (left Windows key and Pause / Break ). 

"Your system now requires a reboot to finish the driver/software /hardware  installation"

Press OK to reboot now or cancel to return to Windows. Your System or Device may not work properly until your system has rebooted" 

I can't remember the exact text of this message, but it was the normal one following soft or hardware installations, we've all seen it.

This is how I knew that the drivers were installed even though I was unable to boot normally when I tried the second card. When asked for a reboot, I had checked in Device Manager using the hot key to see what was there, before I allowed the reboot.

Both of the cards were all fully in place, and the lock screw in place, I had trouble pulling the second full height card out each time to try Volcano11's suggestion of different PCI slots. The first card was a half height card was easier to get out, as I had more room to get at it.

I've now been in touch with the card suppliers twice, but still had no reply.

I'm now also contacting two other suppliers asking if their USB 2 PCI cards will work with a D4100 running 98 SE. 

Thanks again for your help. My wife has conceded that this machine is getting a bit old and she actually made the suggestion that I should mabe look towards a new computer shortly. I've ordered the catalogues. LOL

Ceri

584 Posts

September 21st, 2003 20:00

Ceri,

At this point, I would shut down the wizard on detection and attempt a manual install of the drivers from device manager. 98SE can be a little finicky sometimes, XP does support USB 2.0 with SP-1 in place, otherwise use drivers from the manufacturer. I have an Orange-Micro USB 2.0/Firewire card installed in an older XPST-r, so the 4100 should not be a problem. My OS is XP.

1.7K Posts

September 22nd, 2003 17:00

se7en5ive2

Thanks for the reply, I've currently given up on USB 2.

What I am planning shortly is a full clean re-install of Win 98 SE. Now I have Ghost and a second HD also running off a Promise ATA control card, I can take my time and work through this over a couple of weekends. If need be simply swapping back to the Ghost copy of my working albeit untidy system that needs a clean re-install.

I'm probably going to look at Win XP home and a larger HD and then put the 20 GB drive in my other machine as network back up space. Once I have XP and SP-1, then USB 2 should not be a problem.

With an ADSL router I can also download files using the other machine if necessary and transfer them via USB pen drive or external HD. 

regards

Ceri

No Events found!