Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2010 11:00

What types of PCI slots in Studio XPS 7100?

Hello,

I just purchased a Dell Studio XPS 7100 desktop, but I have been unable to locate the specifications of which type of PCIe slots are located on the motherboard. Are they basic PCIe, PCIe 2.0 or PCIe 2.1? I am looking to purchas a video card while I wait for the computer to arrive and I want to make sure I purchase the correct type.

Many Thanks,

Scott McAfee

< ADMIN NOTE :  Email id removed per privacy policy >

6.4K Posts

May 17th, 2010 11:00

Take a look at the setup guide found here:  Studio XPS 7100 Setup Guide.  According to the specs on page 60, you have Generation 2 (version 2) PCI-e ports, two X1 and one X16.  There is also one standard PCI connector.

I doubt that you need to worry much about the version; the version 2 and 2.1 cards are backward compatible to the older ports so even if you had first generation ports you should be ok.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2011 07:00

Thank you for the setup guide site. I used it to find out and printed the pages where all the USB ports are located. I have owned the Studio XPS 7100 since December, 2010 and am finding it a fine purchase, so far! I found two USB ports in the front which I didn't know about, so it was a successful search!

1.5K Posts

October 26th, 2011 08:00

As stated, you have PCIe X16 2.0 for a video card.  I don't know of any motherboards that have PCIe 2.1 slots.  Only ATI video cards are 2.1 which are backwards compatible with the 2.0 slots.   Nvidia cards are 2.0.  Just make sure the video card you purchase works with your power supply which is a 460 watt unit.  

Edit:  Whoops!  Didn't notice that the post was a year old.  

No Events found!