Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 11th, 2011 13:00

When I try to boot up my Dimension 5150 desktop, I get a black screen and a problem with the "no bootmgr" How do I fix this?

I have this Dell Dimension 5150 desktop and I am trying to put in a new hard drive and upgrade it to Windows Vista Professional system. When I try to boot up the computer, it does not recognize the mouse or the keyboard. This system is a lagacy system, I think and there is no dedicated mouse or keyboard ports, just USB ports.  I can press f2 or f10 to try to get into the system or to change boot order but even this does not work. How can I fix this problem as I have liked the computer and it has given me good service. I just want to fix it and give it to a friend. There has to be a way to re-set the bios or whatever.  Thanks for any help you can give.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 11th, 2011 14:00

If you installed a new hard drive and removed the old one, there is nothing to boot to. You must boot to your xp or vista disk. Put the OS disk in the top (if you have 2)cd-dvd drive and press the key your model uses to access the boot menu (F12 on your model) as soon as you reboot. Check your manual. for instructions. XP was the original OS for this model. You will need to look up clean install of vista with an upgrade version disk. Seems like a lot of trouble for a giveaway. 

No Events found!