Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2013 02:00

Why does the visiontek radeon 7970 3gb Graphics Card not work with my xps 8300?

I bought a Radeon 7970 visintek 3gb Graphics card thinking it would work with my xps 8300. It fits everything is connected correctly but when I turn on my computer it doesn't recognize the graphics card? The graphics card is not broken I build it in another computer and it works perfectly. I am very dissapointed at this because I thoughtI could save money not buying a whole new computer and just buy the power supply and the radeon. Turns out the Radeon doesn't work. If someone could tell me what the problem is that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Jon

1.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 04:00

Hi Jongerber,

A 500W (or greater) power supply with one 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector is recommended for the AMD Radeon 7970 Graphics Card. Your XPS 8300 has a 460W power supply. This maybe one of the reasons for the issue since the video card does work on a different computer.

Please check the link below for the system requirements for the Radeo 7970 Graphics Card:

http://dell.to/1brhNaJ

The following video cards are compatible with the Dell XPS 8300.

Discrete (PCI Express x16 card) - NVIDIA GTX460, NVIDIA GT420 (M207)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5670/HD 5770/ HD 5870/HD 5450

When you click on the Compatibility Option in the link below, you will see that the XPS 8300 is not listed under Compatible Systems for the Visiontek AMD Radeon 7970 video card.

http://dell.to/1bKUFlY

Hope the information provided above is helpful. Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

7 Posts

July 18th, 2013 05:00

Ahhh... Well that sucks to find that out now. I do have the recommended power supply and such. I guess it's my computer then. I will have to build a whole new computer then. So much for saving money... lol

7 Posts

July 18th, 2013 05:00

I have a last question. I was wondering where I can build together a custom PC where I DO NOT have to choose a grahpics card with it. I have a graphics card that is great and I can't use it. I don't want to assemble another PC and have to pick a graphics card because that would be wasting my money.

1.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi JonGerber,

Thank you for your reply.

One thing you can try is upgrade the power supply further in the XPS 8300. As mentioned earlier, the XPS 8300 has a 460W Power Supply whereas you need a Power Supply which is 500W or preferably higher, for the Visiontek Radeon 7970 Graphics Card. You can check the recommended power supplies mentioned in the AMD Radeon 7970 link in my previous post, which may work.

Upgrading this part is purely based on your discretion and only if you really wish to go ahead with it. Issues arising due to upgrade are generally not covered under warranty, however, technical support will be provided for other issues and parts, if your system has active hardware warranty.

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

7 Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

I did buy and upgrade my power supply when I got the graphics card. That did not help though, so it must be the motherboard or something in my computer. And i can't put a computer together on dell without having to choose a new graphics card.. So I was wondering where I could put together a computer without having to buy a new graphics card, I need all the parts except the graphics card.

1.5K Posts

July 18th, 2013 10:00

You can find all the parts you'll ever need at Newegg.com

That's where most get their parts for building a new computer.  You can even build off your XPS 8300 with the right motherboard.  That's what I would think about doing if you have a decent CPU to save money.  If it's an 1155 socket, you will have plenty of choices. 

No Events found!