Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2005 05:00

Win 98 drivers for the Optiplex 170ln

I just recently bought 3 Optiplex 170ln units and was promissed by the seller that the system was compatible with win98. I know its an old OS, but my company has loads of licenses for it, and no real use for a newer Os.
Now I cant find any working win98 drivers for the system.
most things work, except grafics and LAN.

Anyone that knows of working drivers for this system ?
I sure could use the help!

9.3K Posts

September 26th, 2005 16:00

You will need to go to the Intel site and look for the chipset (865GV), graphics and network drivers most likely.

Here are some of the specs. The NIC doesn't go into detail, but if you go to the downloads and select XP for the OS, it shows the NIC to be an Intel 10/100. Intel usually standardizes their drivers so that if you search by the Intel 10/100 for Windows 98 and get the latest driver package for any 10/100 card it'll likely work (as it covers most/all their 10/100 NICs).

1.4K Posts

September 27th, 2005 00:00

So, you bought these without OS?  I don't see any other reason to go back 7 years to an antiquated operating system.  It will be hard, maybe impossible, to keep malware off these things, since everyone including the cleaning lady will be administrators.  You say your company does business on these?  Maybe you could tell us the name of your company so we can avoid doing business with you.

My 2 cents.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2005 14:00

You could try the drivers from INTEL for the D865PERL motherboard.

However Only WIN98SE is going to work. WIN98 uses VXD drivers 98SE uses WDM drivers
which are closer to 2000/XP

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_drive.htm

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 09-27-2005 11:15 AM

4 Posts

September 28th, 2005 14:00

I've installed 98 on these

Graphics file is Win9x1361.exe
Lan is intel-pro-100ve.zip

Couldn't find anything for the modems.

Hope this helps

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

20-05-2024 07:00 AM

@adamrid​ Hi, I know this has been a long time but I am trying to get a retro multi-boot system running on an OptiPlex 170L.  Currently I am having trouble with Windows 98 with I/O conflicts with the ACPI BIOS?  I see nothing in the BIOS (A09) to help with this and with this conflict I am unable to install the 82865G Graphics Controller driver as the memory range is in use.  How did you get around this?

Thanks!

September 28th, 2005 14:00

Tnx for your input. I managed to get it working after a while. I had to fiddle around a little with the memory allocations for a while, but it finaly worked.
On the remark that win98 is an unsafe outdated OS. True, but if its an closed LAN and the only thing we need is an OS that can handle network disks, printers and Java... its a cheap reliable solution.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 28th, 2005 16:00

I still use WIN98se as a cheap reliable stable PEER to PEER lan. I tend to put it on a local firewall behind my firewall so that if a machine becomes compromised it doesnt find the rest of the network.

Point being that it does work. Its also why I still recommend to users that they get the 170L over newer PCI express systems as its Cloneable and manageable and reasonably reliable. I do however stress that ONLY TOWER systems should be purchased. That way adding a Geforce FX5500 PCI card is not a hassle.

Its not a screamer game system but for what I use them for it doesnt matter.
No Events found!