Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2014 22:00

Windows 8.1 Product Key not working on XPS 8700

I was trying to use the add features in the Windows 8.1 control panel and when I do it asks for a product key.  There's no sticker on my computer so I used two different apps to find the product key.  They both returned the same key code number.  Unfortunately MS says the key is not valid!  So I paid for a system with the OS installed but apparently Microsoft doesn't recognize it.  How do I get  a real product key that will work for Microsoft.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 15th, 2014 23:00

Hi MJR1991,

Factory-installed Windows 8 computers differ from previous versions of Windows. Previously, the Product Key for Windows was attached as a label on the computer so that, in the event that the computer required reinstallation, the key could be referenced for activation.

For Windows 8, the Product Key is "injected" onto the computer motherboard at the factory, and the installation and activation processes refer to the BIOS of the computer to verify authenticity and activate Windows. No Windows Product Key is otherwise provided or needed by the customer.

Please reply us with the snapshot of the App and name of the App you are upgrading so that I can check and assist you further.

No Events found!