Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2009 12:00

XP Computer keeps logging off at the sign on screen - Need to repair or restore to factory. How? Help

Hi, i have the same problem as was recently reported by Gary2009;

"I'm hoping to find some help with what appears to be an infected XPSM1710.

Every time I try to long on, the computer starts as though it is going to, the desktop image flashes up but then the computer immediately logs off. I have also tried in safe mode and exactly the same happens.

I am not technically minded and any help would be most welcome."

I have this exact same problem. One of the replies to gary2009's post said he should try restoring to factory settings, or if he wanted to backup his files, maybe an OS repair? Now i dont know what this is, but i definately want to keep my files. I have been amassing a very large amount of images for my work, and it would be devestating if i had lost them. I was just recently thinking about backing them up, and now this- i cant even get onto my computer. Im gutted.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, i would very much appreciate it. Thank you

ps i think my computer is called a DIMENSION 3100c

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 6th, 2009 13:00

jwaters_85

Check out the directions HERE for restoring the Dimension 3100c to it's factory settings.

Bev.

134 Posts

May 6th, 2009 13:00

I had this on two PCs here at my work and had to reinstall the OS, Repair doesn't do it... Not sure why or what happen, but a fresh reinstall will fix it...

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 6th, 2009 15:00

Do you actually see your desktop, if only for an instant, before it starts over? Or does it just show the Windows logo and restart? If you see your desktop, does it just log you out of your account or does it start rebooting Windows, as if you just turned the machine on?

MIght be a hardware issue, so check the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower. If not all green, look up error codes here.  If you're comfortable working inside your system, you might want to reseat the memory (RAM) modules in their slots. Be sure to power off and disconnect the PC from the wall and then press/hold the power button for 15 sec before opening the case. Blow out all the dust bunnies (don't use a vacuum) while you're inside the case too.

Ron

5 Posts

May 10th, 2009 04:00

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. All the replies were perfect, now i just have one question before i follow them through. Is there anyway possible to save any of my data? I have most of it backed up, but there is one folder that i desperately need to save. Bearing in mind that the log in-log out thing is looping on itself. My wallpaper flashes up for a second, then it logs off.

Im sorry if you get this message more than once, i wanted to reply individually but im not sure how.

Thanks again

5 Posts

May 10th, 2009 05:00

Ron,

Thank you very much for your help. My desktop does flicker on for a moment (just the wallpaper, none of the icons), and then just takes me back to the welcome screen again. I followed your steps and removed and reseated the RAM module. Unfortunately it hasnt made a difference. It so frustrating being so close to all of my data but not being able to access it. Im sure there has to be some way around it. Do you know of any way to backup some of my data before i restore the computer to factory settings? This wil probably sound stupid to you, but how about if i remove the RAM module, as i did with your instructions, and then install it into the other Dell desktop we have in the house?

By the looks of it, its a common problem. All of the related posts have the highest views.. I doubt my computer i going to be the same agai after this :(

But thanks again for your help, and time.

James

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 10th, 2009 12:00

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. All the replies were perfect, now i just have one question before i follow them through. Is there anyway possible to save any of my data? I have most of it backed up, but there is one folder that i desperately need to save. Bearing in mind that the log in-log out thing is looping on itself. My wallpaper flashes up for a second, then it logs off.

Im sorry if you get this message more than once, i wanted to reply individually but im not sure how.

Thanks again

jwaters_85

About all you can do, is remove the hard drive, install it in a powered external enclosure, attach it to a working computer and see if you can transfer the folder to system's 'My Documents'.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 12:00

Boot from your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD and press R at first screen to enter Recovery Console.

At C:\ prompt , type in:

chkdsk C: /p /r

Press Enter

(Take a nap!)

When it's done, remove the CD and see if it'll boot. If not then, as already suggested, you may want to run a Repair/Reinstall of XP. This assumes you have XP Service Pack 2  on both the hard drive and Windows XP Reinstallation CD. Personal files and any software you installed should be ok.

Boot from the XP CD again and this time press Enter (not R) at the first screen. XP user license should appear. Accept the license and then press R at the next screen to Repair XP. You will need to reinstall all XP updates (eg, SP3) as soon as the Repair Reinstall is completed.

Ron

59 Posts

May 11th, 2009 13:00

The power supply might be defective. Obviously the unit must be replaced. Do not attempt to restore to factory without making a full backup of all data and settings.  You may destroy vital information. Check the memory chips. If they are defective you should replace. Ask a technician. Before performing  drastic procedures, always get a second opinion. You can use  USB drive to save your folders and documents. If you want to reinstall all your data, a portable  storage drive is more suitable.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 13:00

A faulty powersupply would be unlikely to be the cause for these symptoms. If it was a problem with the videodriver or the power requirements when trying to log in (shouldn't be any different from sitting at the welcome screen), it would be more likely to blue screen instead of logging you back out.

I had a family member run into the exact same symptoms about a month ago. I talked them through trying a last known good boot, safe mode, and a repair and none helped logging back in. I ended up talking them through a format & reinstall of Windows and the Dell drivers from the resource CD. Luckily they didn't care about backing up their data.

If a backup is needed, I'd agree with Bev's suggestion of putting the harddrive in a USB enclosure and connecting it to another PC to copy the My Documents folder off of it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 15:00

EDIT: Will it work ok in Safe Mode? And then copy the files off onto external media (eg USB memory sticks).

It's worth trying chkdsk from the Recovery Console and then a Repair Reinstall too. They won't harm anything.  Otherwise, a clean install requires the OP to move the drive into a housing to recover files beforehand. (sigh)...

Ron

5 Posts

May 12th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

Mine doesn't actually work in safe mode.

A lot of the instructions make sense, but with my very limited knowledge, im just going to take the machine in to a professional for repair. Rather than risk damaging it any further..

Thank you for all of your help

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 12th, 2009 12:00

Hi,

Mine doesn't actually work in safe mode.

A lot of the instructions make sense, but with my very limited knowledge, im just going to take the machine in to a professional for repair. Rather than risk damaging it any further..

Thank you for all of your help

jwaters_85

You are welcome.

Taking the PC to a repair shop would be smart thing to do, if you are not comfortable working around computers.   

Bev.

59 Posts

May 16th, 2009 20:00

After your  viisit to the technician let me know the cause of the malfunction.

No Events found!