Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2008 17:00

XPS 420 Raid, OS data loss

I have an XPS420 that I had configured with a Raid0 array with Vista x32 installed.

The system worked for a few days and then started giving me hangups, slow response, lockups, etc.

I usually had to hard boot the system to get back to the desktop.

I reinstalled the OS several times without any other programs installed and got the same results.

Dell finally exchanged the system and I am having the exact same results as the first system.

I have reverted back to a single drive setup and a fresh Vista install, and the system works fine now.

Has anyone else had any of these kinds of issues with the XPS420 with a Raid0 array?

Thanks

475 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 18:00

Hans,

As with any RAID0, any degradation of the Array will result in the loss of all Data. It will start with Burps and hiccups. Data from files is fragmented across both discs. Windows will only find data that is "intact" as a file. Take out a portion of a file and there is a mismatch on the file when the OS goes looking. DOS used to find partial files, Not XP or vista on RAID0 (at least not consistantly). The Array then becomes degraded and the file system becomes more and more confused. Ultimately resulting in spinning to the wrong disc adresses and system failure due to the mismatch of a file that isn't even the right one. Sorry for the Layman's explanation, it works better than the technical one that I was told once. It's a file-system thing. Remember Checkdisk, That idea don't play with RAID0. It's the highest maintenance array available.

Sean

EDIT: Barring a hw problems, you would be better building your own array as it seems that the array was not built correct from the factory.

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 10-03-2008 03:34 PM

799 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 19:00

shdbcamping1 wrote: Barring a hw problems, you would be better building your own array as it seems that the array was not built correct from the factory.

Hello shdbcamping1, I appreciate your input. I have been using Raid0 arrays on systems for over ten years now without any problems at all. All these systems I built myself.

The only system that I have had problems is with the XPS420 on 2 different systems.

I have never had to reinstall the OS because of corruption on a Raid0 array.

The Raid0 array on the XPS420 was a Raid0 array that I added the two new hard drives and created the Raid0 array. The OS installed normally and worked for several days before I started to have problems.

I broke the Raid0 array, created a new Raid0 array, installed the OS normally and the same thing happened. This occured on two XPS420 systems.

I now have broken the array again and installed the OS on each of the array drives and used the system for several days without any issues at all. I did this just to check the hard drives for any malfunction.

I have installed the OS on the 3 different single hard drives and used them for days and no issues. When I create the Raid0 array, install the OS, in a few days of use, I start having problems.

Could you advise what other course I might take short of adding a SATA raid controller card and see if that resolves the problem.

I am really familuar with Raid and prefer to use it rather than a single drive.

Thanks again for your input.

475 Posts

October 4th, 2008 03:00

Han,

I know that the 420 is an Intel X38 chipset MOBO. Who is doing the RAID0 controller. If this problem is just your 420's, I would try a RAID controller card and get away from the integrated one. I am not familiar enough with integrated RAID controllers to know if they can be updated (overwritten) like a BIOS can. Short of this ability, the trouble to fix the HW isn't worth the cost of an add-in card. IMO.

Sean

475 Posts

October 4th, 2008 05:00

Hanspuppa,
Just in case you haven't seen it yet. I thought you might get a kick out of this thread:http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=82948 .
Sean

799 Posts

October 4th, 2008 12:00

shdbcamping1 wrote: I know that the 420 is an Intel X38 chipset MOBO. Who is doing the RAID0 controller. If this problem is just your 420's, I would try a RAID controller card and get away from the integrated one. I am not familiar enough with integrated RAID controllers to know if they can be updated (overwritten) like a BIOS can. Short of this ability, the trouble to fix the HW isn't worth the cost of an add-in card.

Hello shdbcamping1, The chipset is indeed Intel but Dell, in their wisdom, has created their BIOS for this board chipset that limits what can be done within the BIOS.

I believe this is where all the problems stem from since no one else, that I am aware of with the X38 chipset on other boards, seem to have any issues at all.

Intergrated Raid controllers are usually all software versus hardware controlled. The addon cards are hardware conrolled. They vary in cost from slightly below $100.00 US to well over $500.00 US, depending on the controller.

It seems to me to be a little far-fetched to have to spend several hundred dollars on a system to get it to work as advertised.

That is a very large spread, so one of the cheaper cards would not be one I would want to try.

I have always used onboard controllers without any issues at all except for this XPS Dell BIOS written controller. That should be a flag and it is.

With the cost of even a medium cost controller card, I could just as well purchase other components and get a working system.

I already have an Asus motherboard. This probably will be the way I go.

Thanks for your input.

No Events found!