Shootyz
1 Copper

Re: XPS 420 SATA RAID and drive failing

Had another 2 hangups/solid drive lights this weekend, noticed though that if you leave your PC alone for quite a while, say hour plus you get control back, your drive is marked errored but you can just mark it normal and

continue on as normal, there must be a time out going on somewhere with the errored drive. If you reboot while the PC is hung it leads to all sorts of problems so some patience may save a RAID rebuild.

Regards the post above with one Western Digital drive being installed, my mate got his 420 replaced recently and it came with 1 Western digital drive and 1 samsung installed, will have to see if he has the Matrix software installed. 

0 Kudos
Seajays
2 Bronze

I noticed that too... if you do reboot, and it gets stuck on the windows vista startup black screen (with the 'cylon eye'), you can leave it there and eventually it will do the same, and windows will start up, allowing you to mark as normal and do an array rebuild - it just takes longer to get there (mine took 3 hours instead of the 45 minutes or so it takes if you leave it going while you're logged in).
0 Kudos
TRCrook
1 Copper

To update - i've installed the new Seagate HDD's but in a non-RAID configuration - i'm fed up of the problems & will just sit it out until the manufacturers of this farce come up with an Intel Matrix console that actually works. If this doesn't happen by the end of the month (3 months after purchase) I will be seeking a satisfactory replacement - i'm afraid this isn't good enough, you can't expect to sell a PC that DOESN'T WORK & get away with it.

0 Kudos
Onyx_08
1 Copper

Three weeks straight running with the Seagate Barracuda Gen. 7200.11 and RAID 0 - no drive errorrs or system hangs. I have been running a couple of heavy design projects with intense use of the computer and everything has been optimal! (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign - high res images for print press)

But I must say that i don't sleep well knowing the history of the XPS420 and its drives; I do not put too much faith into luck - wish that DELL could post a comment on what the problem really is - not just guessing and hoping we "the customers" will solve it for them!? I know there is a "fix" soon to be released - but what is this fix and what/how does this resolve the issues stated on this message board? Does it only apply for the Samsung Drives og is it good for ED and Seagate as well. I would say that over one month is too long solving a problem that should have been found before the box was released!

This is my first DELL - and I can assure you all that I will NEVER again by any product from Dell this being private or professional. Might be the fact that I live in Norway and the customer support here is of a lower standard than the rest of the world but I got one word, that is APPOLING! And the fact that they sell a product with a system flaw of this magnetude is beyond comprehension and clearly shows a lack of respect for their customers.

The time I have spent on the the 420 both configuring, diagnosing, reinstalling, support call ques etc. has cost me well over twice the price I payed for this "beta box."

I just really hope there are some out there who has gotten a working system!

...and sorry for the LONG post - just needed to blow some steam as I find this to be plain silly.

0 Kudos
SatanR1
1 Copper

Onyx, I agree with everything you have said .... as I am in the same boat, design projects ... websites etc.

It's a joke, and it really winds me up that comanys this big choose to ignore the customers!!

0 Kudos
didfra
1 Copper

I full agree with you !!

i work in a consulting company, and this story with DELL will make them lose a lot of customers.

0 Kudos
mifr
1 Copper

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems with the 420 and RAID 1 as you all describe.

The first hard drive failed in January and I've been waiting for an answer from Dell since. This morning the other hard drive also failed and I can't boot at all. At the start up screen both disks are now marked with 'Error occured'

Does anybody know if it's possible for me to rebuild the array and restore everything?

0 Kudos
MMTWRX
2 Iron

It is quite worrying. I had the same issue with my 420 with RAID 1. To be fair to Dell as soon as I reported the problem an engineer was sent out next day to replace both my Samsung HDD for W/Digital and set the whole thing up again. Now I've not done that much with the PC since then bar turn it on to see if everything is OK, which ( Oh $%£& I'm tempting fate again here) it is to date.

The problem I feel is: 20, 30, 50, 100 people, reporting on this forum, to be suffering this issue has got to be a tiny drop in the ocean to how many people that must have purchased this system with this configuration. I wonder what the true % of 420's have this fault?

I still don't have the confidence to use my 420 in anger. I am still using my HP t450.uk that been hammered nearly every day for 4 years without a hiccup.

Some reassurance from Dell would help.

0 Kudos
MVick71
1 Copper

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people on here. This is my first Dell (I've always built my own but this offer seemed good value) and I won't be buying another one.

I've had numerous issues with my RAID1 config, so much so, I'm going to go with 2 single disks and back up all my important stuff to some online storage.

If anyone from Dell ever reads the threads, I think the company is a joke. Selling PC's KNOWING that they don't work is surely boardering on fraudulent?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SatanR1
1 Copper

Having been running the W/D drives now for about 2 weeks.

I can confirm the stability of the machine is getting worse.

I am having to re-boot Vista about 3 - 5 times a day in order to regain operability.

Randomly, IE7 will just stop responding to things like right click and open a new tab.

Then when you try to open images (jpeg) the image screen will open ..... but the window is hollow ... ??

Has anyone obtained a refund yet, I've had enough of this rubbish.

0 Kudos