Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 07:00

Uhm, hate to break it to you but you should read up on what RAID is.  RAID requires 2 or more drives, period.  You can't create a Redundant Array of Independant Disks if there are no independant disks.  Your one hard disk system may have been capable of RAID however it was NOT running in RAID.

[quote user="mrg3dit2002"]

i dont know if thats all true or not,i had an emachine t5224 and it was set up for raid with only 1 hard drive from the factory,one day i did a clean install

and did a test run with the raid setting then reinstalled again with ahci and it was ALOT slower with the ahci.

so in the long run if it aint broke dont try to if it u well waste your time tryin ;-)

[/quote]

Of course he could have 2 drives and not know it? One way to tell, if it was configured for RAID0 was to look at the size of C:. If twice as large as the drive size he thought he had, he had another drive somewhere.

I have an XPS Gen5 configured for RAID0, 2 250GB drives. System is 4 1/2 years old and one of the RAID drives died. Finding a replacement drive of the exact buffer size was a problem, so I decided to just use one drive and go AHCI instead. I had been using Norton Ghost to back up the drive so I had a recent image. The biggest problem was setting up the BIOS to be non-RAID. With that done, re-installed the back-up and boot. The performance difference to my eyes is not noticeable. I'm sure there is some, but I can't detect it. Probably boots slightly faster and maybe programs load slightly faster, but it isn't really something I can point my finger at and want me to buy new drives and go back to RAID. If anything I'd go RAID1 and forget about using Norton Ghost.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 11:00

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. I have a 435t and wanted to know if hardware virtualization is activated out of the box. If not, does anyone know how to do this? I cannot see any BIOS settings. Also if anyone has installed 64-bit Windows 7 have you had any issues with drivers? I have already installed on an older laptop with no problems at all.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 11:00

I ordered a 435T recently. When configuring I foolishly/carelessly selected the 8 GB RAM (4 DIMMs) option, not realzing that it would operate as Dual Channel. Now that I have learned a little more about Tri Channel and realized my mistake, my questions are:

1.  If add 2  more 2 GB Dimms of DDR3 for a total of 12 GB (6 matching DIMMs), would it then be tri-channel?

2. If I simply remove one of the 2 GB DIMMs, would I then be getting 6 GB in Tri Channel? If so, would this perform better than 8GB dual channel? (if so, from which slot do I remove it?).

3. Which option do you think is best? If I go with increasing to 12 GB, any advice on what DIMMs to order  or from where?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 12:00

I ordered a 435T recently. When configuring I foolishly/carelessly selected the 8 GB RAM (4 DIMMs) option, not realzing that it would operate as Dual Channel. Now that I have learned a little more about Tri Channel and realized my mistake, my questions are:

1.  If add 2  more 2 GB Dimms of DDR3 for a total of 12 GB (6 matching DIMMs), would it then be tri-channel?

2. If I simply remove one of the 2 GB DIMMs, would I then be getting 6 GB in Tri Channel? If so, would this perform better than 8GB dual channel? (if so, from which slot do I remove it?).

3. Which option do you think is best? If I go with increasing to 12 GB, any advice on what DIMMs to order  or from where?

Thanks

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing.

When I ordered, there was no 9GB option and 8GB was listed as triple memory. Now, the configurator, shows 9GB as triple and 8GB as dual.

I got a copy of CPU-Z and it indeed said I was DUAL memory.

With the help of another message here, I was able use the existing 4 memory cards and go Triple.

If yours is like mine, the 4 closest slots to the processor are filled. The numbering scheme, from the processor is in order 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, and 5. The blue slots, 1, 3, and 5 must be filled before single cards are placed in other slots to make it run Triple.

So, take the memory card in the 3rd slot from the processor, slot 4, which should be pink or orange, and place it in the last slot, the one furthest from the processor, slot 5, and then you'll be configured for Triple.

That said, I didn't really notice any difference in performance, other than CPU-Z claiming the memory was at Triple speed?

32 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 13:00

First post here.

Ordered 435T on 4/8/09. Delivered 5/8/09.

I have the Core i7-920; 6GB RAM; ATI Radeon 4870 w/1GB (while on special promotion); 2x500GB RAID1; standard Dell keyboard and mouse.

I seem to have some of the same problems as everyone else such as Catalyst Control Center error: "application has stopped working". But I have been ignoring this because trying a solution seems to cause more problems than it solves. I really don't need such a powerful graphics card anyway and otherwise I don't have problems with it. I am not a power user and doing a clean install actually scares me a bit. It works, so I won't change anything unless really necessary.

I ran the reboot time script a few times. Before installing apps or transferring my data I got from 61 seconds to 78 seconds. After installing apps and data (and doing a defrag) my reboot times are between 71 and 81 seconds.

I have a few questions.

I don't like the Microsoft defrag tool in Vista 64-bit. It does not show any feedback of what is going on. Can anyone recommend a good defragger, preferably free?

Also I never really noticed the disk activity light on the tower because it is very dim and unless standing right over it I can not see it. But recently (after turning off my old noisy computer) I have been hearing constant clicking noises. The activity light flickers constantly between once to twice per second. Even if the computer has been sitting idle for a while.  The Intel Matrix Storage Manager indicates that all is well. I have no idea why the disks are being accessed all the time. Does anybody have any idea?

Paul

May 23rd, 2009 14:00

Raxco $50 Perfect disk 10 works great on vista 64 bit and allows both boot time defrag and behind the scences defrag too.

I too ignored CCC error when it was new, but..................

CCC error was the first clue to a problem that ended up with freezing on reboots. Uninstalling the 4870 drivers in device manager and CCC in add and remove programs then re-installing CCC and the 4870 drivers directly from ATI's support site seemed to cure that. Be aware if you have furthur problems and you call dell and they advise a re-install. Ask to re-install from CD rather than from the dell partition since we know now you're CCC error is included on the partition.

Updates are not all bad if you do them carefully and one a day and test for problems. Does your 435T sound like a leafblower when restarting? Get the new BIOS A07 and it'll quiet it right down. To check your current BIOS download Belarc Advisor.

Disk access question: You said windows defrag was running in the background.......................Hit ctr / alt / del and choose task manager / OK / Applications and see what programs are running. If it's a background program look in processes and try and ID it by memory used and description.

Since my freezing on reboot is back as well as the CCC error after re-installing from Dell partition, I'm going to start all over and re-install from CD using ATI's drivers for the 4870. Anyone who's done it this way out there? Can I avoid the dell partition install or is it automatic?

Raymond

147 Posts

I don't like the Microsoft defrag tool in Vista 64-bit. It does not show any feedback of what is going on. Can anyone recommend a good defragger, preferably free?

Paul

I use Auslogics Disk Defrag on my laptop running Vista 32-bit. It's also compatible with 64-bit and it's free. Here's the link:

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

I'm currently using PerfectDisk on my 435T because it gives you many more options.

147 Posts

Since my freezing on reboot is back as well as the CCC error after re-installing from Dell partition, I'm going to start all over and re-install from CD using ATI's drivers for the 4870. Anyone who's done it this way out there? Can I avoid the dell partition install or is it automatic?

Raymond

I'm close to doing a complete reinstall too. Are you asked for the Windows product key when you install from the Dell CD?

Hey I forgot you are running RAID 1 w/2 500GB's. MY last raid 1 set up could read fast but took a long time to finish writing. I've got RAID 0 with 2/ 640BG's and have downloaded all dell's updates. I think this originally caused the problem.......................Raymond

32 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 17:00

Raxco $50 Perfect disk 10 works great on vista 64 bit and allows both boot time defrag and behind the scences defrag too.

Updates are not all bad if you do them carefully and one a day and test for problems. Does your 435T sound like a leafblower when restarting? Get the new BIOS A07 and it'll quiet it right down.

Thanks for the information. I will look into the Perfect Disk program. Smoothieboy  also recommends this.

I do have the A07 BIOS. The first couple of seconds the fan does start up at a high speed, but after that it really runs very quiet. I have no problems with this.

I too ignored CCC error when it was new, but..................

I guess I have to be prepared for any upcoming problems. I thought the CCC program was just to access some features of the graphics card but was not needed to run the graphics. I might just uninstall it when it start to cause more problems.

Thanks all for the information.

Paul

Good idea to check task manager to see what program might be accessing the disk drives.

147 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 18:00

I just ran the diagnostics program from the Dell partition. It gave me three errors, but they were for the optical drives and the compact flash slot, and I realized that they had to have media in them for the test. I inserted the media, re-ran the tests, and all passed. But the interesting thing was when I exited the diagnostics program and the system rebooted, it only took 40 seconds to get to the desktop. (For some reason, Windows still logged this as a warning in the boot performance monitoring.) I don't know what changed, but it's a vast improvement over the 2 to 3 minute boot time I've been getting. I doubt it will last; something is clearly glitchy in the boot routine for the OS installed by Dell.

118 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 22:00

If yours is like mine, the 4 closest slots to the processor are filled. The numbering scheme, from the processor is in order 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, and 5. The blue slots, 1, 3, and 5 must be filled before single cards are placed in other slots to make it run Triple.

So, take the memory card in the 3rd slot from the processor, slot 4, which should be pink or orange, and place it in the last slot, the one furthest from the processor, slot 5, and then you'll be configured for Triple.

Where did you find these slot numbers (all I've seen is just that the 2 banks consist of alternating slots (which amounts to the same thing practically))?

I got a machine with 4x1 dimms which were in the first 4 slots. If they could be configged as triple, why would Dell not place them as such? I guess the memory is either all dual or triple, no mix? The evidence for the 4 DIMMs being able to be triple is that CPU-Z reads them as such? Is there any doc mentioning this?

May 23rd, 2009 22:00

Per tonights session with 3 dell techs. Type msconfg in search box and go to start menu and uncheck box for CCC and hit apply to prevent it from starting. You can still open it from programs if you want it.......................Raymond

Waste of time with dell techs tonight. After 5 hours on the phone with 3 techs, Anne diagnosed the cause of my problem as the wireless keyboard needing replacement. She did not take it well when I advised keyboard was backordered from Dell and only arrived 2 weeks after the freeze on re-boot issue started. Told her I was tired and would call back tommorow. Well I guess I'll do a re-install from dell CD's rather than using the image on the dell partition. Dell partition contains CCC error.

Any help on this re-install from anyone?

I see there is an OS restore disk from dell and 3 computer drivers and programs re-install CD's. What order? Which one has ATI drivers, which I'll avoid.

Raymond

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 24th, 2009 05:00

Where did you find these slot numbers (all I've seen is just that the 2 banks consist of alternating slots (which amounts to the same thing practically))?

I got a machine with 4x1 dimms which were in the first 4 slots. If they could be configged as triple, why would Dell not place them as such? I guess the memory is either all dual or triple, no mix? The evidence for the 4 DIMMs being able to be triple is that CPU-Z reads them as such? Is there any doc mentioning this?

It is in the Service Manual, on-line or d/l. The specific page is here, Dell Studio XPS™ 435T Service ManuaL, Replacing Memory Modules, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/memory.htm#wp1188716 and you have to populate bank 1 first, slots 1, 3, and 5 before putting anything is bank 2.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/memory.htm#wp1188716

----------------

Ensure that you install a single memory module in DIMM connector 1 (blue connector), the second closest connector to the processor, before you install modules in any other connector.

------------------

I've read that Dell 'was confused' over what actually was Tri-channel (triple)? I sort of wonder if even machines with only 3 DIMM's were configured correctly?

93 Posts

May 24th, 2009 06:00

Per tonights session with 3 dell techs. Type msconfg in search box and go to start menu and uncheck box for CCC and hit apply to prevent it from starting. You can still open it from programs if you want it.......................Raymond

Waste of time with dell techs tonight. After 5 hours on the phone with 3 techs, Anne diagnosed the cause of my problem as the wireless keyboard needing replacement. She did not take it well when I advised keyboard was backordered from Dell and only arrived 2 weeks after the freeze on re-boot issue started. Told her I was tired and would call back tommorow. Well I guess I'll do a re-install from dell CD's rather than using the image on the dell partition. Dell partition contains CCC error.

Any help on this re-install from anyone?

I see there is an OS restore disk from dell and 3 computer drivers and programs re-install CD's. What order? Which one has ATI drivers, which I'll avoid.

Raymond

Raymond,

Here's the link to Dell's instructions for reloading Vista.  Follow Option A  (Advanced) to reinstall from the original CD's versus from the Dell Restore partition.  It will give you the correct order and is a good step by step guide

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=dhs

As you already know, the only deviation from this is to NOT install the ATI drivers and CCC from the Dell Driver CD.  Instead, get them directly from the AMD site.  That worked in my case and has been recommended by others as well.  Good Luck with the reinstall and post back your results.

No Events found!