Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2008 23:00

XPS 600 - No video after replacing motherboard

When booting to XP Professional, I got a "ntldr file not found message". I tried to boot to an XP CD by selecting the boot sequence and selecting the CD so I could copy the missing file but it wouldn't boot from the CD. I rebooted the went into the bios to see if it recognized the devices. All I get into was the time and it was wrong. I tried to change the time bit the PC locked up. After a bit, the monitor changed to static like a TV not tuned to a channel. Figuring the motherboard bit the dust, I replaced it with a OEM board from Dell.

When booting with the replacement motherboard, I see the monitor light flash green for just a second and go to amber. All 4 diagnostic lights light as it goes through the POST and go off. (Manual says this is normal after the system successfully you the OS). I cannot get any video. Since the old video card had a problem before I replaced the motherboard, I put in a new video card. Same results. I reset the BIOS with the jumper with no success. I also tried booting with one of the memory boards and then the other with the same problem.

I am using a monitor connected to the VGA output. I also verified the problem with a second monitor and both worked when connected to a laptop.

Any ideas how to get a video output or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Tom

175 Posts

June 2nd, 2008 15:00

do you have the video card in the top slot and do you have the latest drivers and also depending on the card does it need the power adapter plugged directly into it

June 2nd, 2008 18:00

I placed the card in the top slot which is where it was on the old board. I also tried it in the second  slot with still no video. The video card doesn't have a power adapter.

I can't even see the Dell spash screen, the F2 for setup, etc.

175 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 00:00

my guess would be to look at the power supply or the processor ,another thing you might want to do is take the hard drive out and check it in another pc if you can just to make sure its not there . double check and make sure everything is plugged in right and seated good from the mobo swap. and that the cpu is seated right. if you take out the cpu check the pins or seats and get a magnifying glass and look to make sure there are no burnt or melted or damaged looking spots on it also clean off the old and apply new themal grease to the top of the cpu before you put it back in. post back after u check it out and we'll go from there. oh yeah i almost forgot if by chance its the psu youll have to get that from dell because its totally propriotary 

June 6th, 2008 12:00

Turns out the new video card was bad out of the box. Tried a PCI video card and got a signal to the monitor. Removed the PCI card and installed a second new card in the AGP slot and there was the POST video.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom 

No Events found!