Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2009 05:00

XPS 720 Diagnostic Lights 1,3 and 4

Hi, I hope somebody can offer me some help.

My XPS 720 has been operating faultlessly since I upgraded from XPS 710 ages ago. Last week it started to refuse to boot on first attempt.

When I press the power button, the front panel led's light up, and the computer immediately hangs with diagnostic lights 1, 3 and 4 lit up. This happens before POST or loading operating system. If I then power off and re-start, the computer will boot up normally most times but it occasionally takes two or three restarts to get it going.

There are no beep codes. I have not messed with the BIOS, I am not overclocked, I have not recently installed any new software or hardware.

I can't find any mention of a fault relating to 1, 3 and 4 diagnostic lights in the Owner's Manual.

I have opened ip the case and checked for loose wires etc, but can't find anything wrong.

Is it time for a new computer or can anybody give me a clue to what is going wrong?

Thanks, Don.

4.4K Posts

April 25th, 2009 08:00

Worth a try:  Remove and reseat the memory modules, possibly changing positions at the same time. 

April 25th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the advice europa303.

I should have mentioned before that I have already pulled and replaced all the cards and memory sticks.

I will now try swapping the memory positions and see if it works.

Don.

April 27th, 2009 06:00

A quick update for anyone interested.

My computer finally gave up the ghost and failed to boot, but this time gave a beep code.

Swapped the memory sticks around and isolated the fault to one stick, so now I'm up and running with half a load of memory. Time to buy some more.

Don.

4.4K Posts

April 27th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for the update and best of luck.  I had a feeling this was something to do with memory.

No Events found!