Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

44 Posts

January 7th, 2009 11:00

That is not cpu temp,its the temp inside the case. Correct? Its good to double check anyway dells thermal software could be way off.

Run real temp 2.90 or coretemp to see if the cpu is overheating.

44 Posts

January 7th, 2009 12:00

Here are links to the software.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

44 Posts

January 7th, 2009 12:00

You can run prime95 too. Put a load on the cpu and see if it overheats. My core i7 build runs 41c at idle and 80c at full load using prime95 with the stock cooler. I bought a aftermarket cooler and my tems are 34c idle and 60c full load.

These are cpu temps not case temps.

Your computer should run stable at 85c under full load.

44 Posts

January 7th, 2009 19:00

Try running prime95 if you get a chance. I would still like to see what temps are and if its stable under full load.This could narrow it down a little more.

Also you could try disableing stuff running in the background in taskmanager.

18 Posts

I decided to throw in the towel on this system.  No matter what I try (and I think I have tried just about everything over the last month) it will reset / reboot at random times.  So, after finally getting through to the Dell returns department, and then being on hold for 45 minutes, I was able to get my return setup.  The good news is Dell is refunding the entire purchase price and paying for shipping back to Texas (that was a big relief, thanks Dell).

I will continue to monitor this thread and I hope someone can figure out what is wrong with these systems.  I think the system is great other than this issue (of course) and I would buy it again if I knew this problem was fixed.

PS: The one thing I never tried was turning off Turbo Mode in the BIOS and just running at a 24 mulitiplier - 3.2 GHz (I did run it with the F9 defaults but that sets it up with 26,25,25,25 multipliers) .  I know everyone is probably thinking "what's the point in that since it is marketed / touted / and sold as being overclock-able?" but in my four weeks of experience with it the higher the overclocking the worse it got (I only went as high as the recommended 28 multiplier - 3.73 GHz).  I will have this system through the weekend so that I can clean off the hard drive and I will keep it at 24 (non - turbo) to see how it behaves.

18 Posts

Here are links to the software.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

I installed and ran CoreTemp tonight and when playing "Far Cry 2" the highest temp I saw was 67 Celsius on one of the cores (I have the 730x H2C).  However, after about 15 minutes of playing the machine reset on me.  I am running at the overclocked 3.73 GHz.

22 Posts

January 7th, 2009 20:00

Actually for me, I can disable everything it makes no difference. Sometimes it won't even get to the startup  screen. it'll just keep rebooting a few times over. Other times I can play Crysis for an hour with no problem. However, whenever I try to open a few apps that I use for work.. boom.  I don't think i'm really pushing the cpus at all. I'm just running apps a few apps that aren't cpu intensive. 

i7 920 

Air cooling

6GB

ATI 4870X2

18 Posts

January 7th, 2009 20:00

Try running prime95 if you get a chance. I would still like to see what temps are and if its stable under full load.This could narrow it down a little more.

Also you could try disableing stuff running in the background in taskmanager.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I ran Core Temp along with Prime95 it two test runs where #1 was at the non-overclocked settings (3.2 GHz) and #2 at the recommended overclocked settings (3.73 GHz).  Both ran for about 18 minutes before I stopped the test and all tests passed (no resets or reboots either interestingly).  Here is what I saw as far as temperatures:

3.2 GHz - Maximum core temp = 72 degrees Celsius

3.73 GHz - Maximum core temp = 80 degrees Celsius

44 Posts

January 7th, 2009 21:00

Looks like the cpu is not overheating. Its still possable the video card could be.

Are you guys using a thumb drive or a usb device like magicjack?

I had a problem like lovereason is talking about. Unpluging majick jack seamed to stop the endless reboot.

62 Posts

January 7th, 2009 22:00

Hey owl4595, I returned my system and they picked it up today (they said UPS, but it was a trucking company). That bothers me because now I can't track the shipment, it could take weeks to get back to Dell and I won't know when and where. The truck company didn't even have a label for the package they said they would make one up when they take it back to their warehouse (now I really worried). I wouldn't praise Dell yet, until you seen the money in the bank! I have heard to many bad things about how Dell is treating their customers and returning money is high on the list for not being fast or accurate. Hope we come out of this alive. I cannot believe Dell is selling a product like this, it's killing them how can anyone in there right mind want to purchase a gaming computer from Dell? GO AHEAD, you'll be SORRY! I wrote a review on their website but I haven't see it posted yet, don't think they will either since they decide who posts and who doesn't, not a very honest way of reviewing ones product now is it!

23 Posts

January 8th, 2009 10:00

I'm wondering if folks have checked all the various connections in their XPS case. With all the tumbling and banging that goes on with shipping, there might be a common connection that doesn't seat correctly.

Also, has anyone checked the voltages out of the PSU with a meter?

23 Posts

January 8th, 2009 12:00

Hey Richsi, I'm also a former computer robotics tech. I can remember the days when we would "bit-bang" our way around a path to find a problem. I'm afraid those days are long gone. Techs these days are just parts-swappers and most don't have any solid troubleshooting skills.
You didn't say if you had checked the voltages on the PSU. I know you would know this, but for those that don't, you have to actually test the voltages on the connectors with a VOM. One cannot rely on software readouts to test voltages.

62 Posts

January 8th, 2009 12:00

Interesting question "VonCarlos". I happen to be a retired electricial, instrument tech and computer tech later before retiring. When testing devices such as these it's best to have schematics and drawings for pin-outs and related technical drawings. I'm sure, no I'm positive Dell wouldn't provide them to their customers. The funny part is checking these things should be routine for their Tech's...Heck the Tech they sent to me didn't even have enough tools (he had to borrow mine, shipped from Dell with the computer) to do his job let alone have a Digital voltmeter. They are parts replacers not board level troubleshooters. I wonder if Dell even have board level Tech's...Just change parts out until it works if it doesn't "OH WELL", must keep making them and shipping them out....MONEY MONEY MONEY! Yes we did check all the connections, the computer inside is built pretty solid the parts are pretty secure. They have a more serious problem and it doesn't seem to me that they are interested in solving it and making their customers happy. Heck, I sent mine back and so have other in this thread and still nothing is being addressed! Sorry way to make money, I don't know how they stay in business???

62 Posts

January 8th, 2009 14:00

Nope VonCarlos I didn't test anything on the inside. I paid for 4 yrs of warranty, 4 yrs of accidentalcare and 1 yr of "My TECH Team" so I don't figure I should be inside the box messing around with their problems and issues. The best thing to do at this point is send it back if you have issues before the 21 days are up. If you don't you will be stuck with it for good, fixed or not! My opinion of course! GOOD LUCK

482 Posts

January 8th, 2009 18:00

Not meaning to barge into this conversation, as I have just a plain old 730 H2C, with only a QX9650 OC to 3.67, but IMHO Richsi seems on the correct tract.  My system has the same random shut downs, ran the same diagnostic, got the 2000-0123 red herring (which tech support in FL said was not the real issue after taking each memory module out and puting into DIM #1 and rerunning the diagnositc for each module). 

They are replacing the cooling unit, CPU and fans this Sat. morning.  The main difference is that my system did not start the random shut downs and BSOD until months after I bought the system, but it has progressed over these past few weeks.

I will be watching the 730X board more closely now.

Darrell WV

No Events found!