Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 17:00

XPS 8300 Windows 10 Broadcom network adapter disconnect FIXED

On my XPS 8300, after upgrading to Windows 10, the network would just stop working after a while (seemingly after some network load, but was never able to pinpoint it).  Restarting the PC would enable the network, but then it would eventually disconnect again, sometimes in as little as 5 minutes.

So I tried installing the Win7 network driver from Dell's site, and I no longer get disconnected.  Search for "R282233", or just download the file from this link.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NDC29

Dell writes that Win10 is not supported on the XPS 8300, but after fixing this network problem, I don't have any other issues.

EDIT 2015-08-30

Let me try to summarize this thread so far.

Installing R282233 (14.2.0.7) fixed the disconnect problem for 11 people:
- shu
- ClutchRaider
- Ickabod
- digitalexplr
- JohnGosselin
- tj_moore
- Mr.JASmith
- digger1978
- rrao
- RunsLikeDell
- andpen

It did not fix it for 2 people:
- sig94nl
- miami3170

tj_moore and RunsLikeDell reported that just running the installer did not actually change the driver version. They had to first uninstall the previous drivers and all Broadcom software, or even that wasn't enough and had to select the "Repair" option in the Broadcom install package, as opposed to the "Modify" option.

I personally just ran the installer without doing anything special, and it did change the driver to 14.2.0.7. I assume most people did too. I don't know what the difference is, perhaps doing a clean install of Windows 10 helped.

Mr.JASmith reported that both 17.2.0.0 and 15.6.1.2 did not work for his XPS 8000. RunsLikeDell also reported 15.6.1.2 did not work for the XPS 8000.

But in another thread, MikeZ and B23x say 17.2.0.0 does work for the XPS 8300.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/p/19644811/20809376#20809376

If anyone else updates their XPS 8300 to 17.2.0.0, and it does fix the disconnect, please report back.

34 Posts

August 1st, 2015 19:00

Thanks for the tip. My XPS 8300 was doing similar thing. I have rolled back to 8.1 Pro for the present time, but would like to get it back on Win 10.

August 2nd, 2015 00:00

Following up, is your Windows 10 working properly now on your Dell XPS 8300?  Just tried this myself and it seems to be working so far.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 09:00

Thanks for this. Been having the exact same problem. Will give the driver a try.

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

This seems to have done it for me, good luck to you!

Thanks to OP.

10 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 19:00

I reworded my original post to make clear that the network and everything is working fine in Win10 now.  I'm glad it seems to be working for others too.

This exact problem also seems to be happening on other Dell PCs with a Broadcom adapter.  I've seen reports of it on the Inspiron 580 too.  Hopefully installing older drivers fixes it for others as well.

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 16:00

I've tried everything I can think of, installed and reinstalled these drivers along with other things several times, but nothing seems to work.. Basically my PC is now nothing but a glorified Microsoft Paint machine. Am I perhaps missing something?

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 21:00

I wish I could shake your hand.  Been obsessing with this for a few days now.. Couldn't find anything until this post fixed it.. TY!

34 Posts

August 6th, 2015 17:00

Got my 8300 back on Win10. Didn't need to install the Broadcomm driver. I think my network issues were because of problem with Bitdefender. There is an issue with Bitdefender and Win10, but Bitdefender has a fix that solves the problem.

The 8300 has been up and running on Win 10 for several hours and has not had a network issue.

10 Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

I think I didn't have network disconnects the first day either.  I think it started happening as I gradually installed Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Chrome, Slack, TweetDeck, etc.  Network apps that are always running.  After the Win7 driver was installed, all these apps run fine simultaneously.  I did a clean install of Win10, and didn't install any additional anti-virus software or anything.

Or maybe Microsoft made updates to Win10's network drivers that fixed the problem by now?  Does anyone else's Broadcom adapter not get disconnected, without installing old network drivers?

@sig94nl, you installed the Win7 network driver linked above, and you're still getting the same disconnects?

1 Message

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for publishing this. I upgraded my 8300 today and ran into the problem. Uninstalling the NIC driver and rebooting didn't help, so I don't think MS has fixed it. But downloading and installing R282233 seems to have done the job.

I've got a similar problem with an old Latitude 2120 (netbook/Atom cpu) with a Broadcom NIC that I upgraded from 32-bit W7Pro to W10Pro. Right now I've reverted to a USB NIC, but I'll try the W7 driver for that problem too.

39 Posts

August 8th, 2015 04:00

The key to this is ensuring there isn't an existing Broadcom driver package installed. I ran the installer for R282233 but it seemed to make no difference and then I noticed it hadn't changed the driver version. It was still on the newer and broken in Windows 10 driver.

On re-running it I got an option to uninstall the driver and all the Broadcom related software. Did that and then re-ran it and now have the older Win 7 driver. So far no network drops, even with heavy network load. Before I'd get it dropping frequently, between every 5 and 30 minutes but only when I'm using the network.

Watch out as it's highly likely Windows 10 will update it to the newer driver automatically at some point.

11 Posts

August 8th, 2015 05:00

Has anyone tried the new driver update from the 5th of august?

https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9

NetLink®/NetXtreme® I Desktop/Mobile/Server (x64) (for 64 bit)

17.2.0.0 Binaries 08/05/15

EDIT: My fault, it seems that this driver doesn't support the standard LAN on Motherboard (Broadcom Network Adapter model BCM57788). It does however support my second Network Adapter (also Broadcom) which I installed 2 years ago, and this driver fixed the connection issues for me :) .

1 Message

August 8th, 2015 09:00

I tired this 17.2.0.0 and it didn't work for me, I also tried 15.6.1.2 dated 1/29/2013 and this also didn't work. Both of these divers would stay connected for sometimes a few minutes to a few hours then disconnect. I could sometimes reconnect and other times I had to reboot to reconnect. Using these version I had some system crashes from time to time, Page fault errors and unable to power down device error while trying to reboot. When these errors occurred I received the blue screen with a sad face :-(

Anyway, I installed the R282233 and this fixed the problem for me. I have a dell XPS 8000. The driver installed from the 282233 was 14.2.0.0.7 dated 7/20/2010 and was installed automatically in compatibility mode .

Thanks for the help everyone.

10 Posts

August 8th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for letting us know this also fixed it for the XPS 8000.  This does seem to be a wider Broadcom issue.

The site says that R282233 was last updated 12 Dec 2013, is that not the case?  Anyway, I have not experienced a single disconnect since installing it over a week ago.

1 Message

August 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi

Thanks for posting.  I have the same Dell.  It took forever to find out what was wrong, even  speaking with a Dell representative was of little help.  Finally read some posts... Microsoft  showed my PC compatible, I did not check with Dell site first.

Once I rolled back to Windows 7, I had even more issues. I had major problems, hours of diagnostics (Thank you, Dell for providing so many ways to check operations!)   It seems after a restore, the Windows 10 install was hanging, and I had no way to use Windows 7 functions. I now have Windows 10  running, continued with the install, a risk, but little choice.  Hopefully I can use my PC normally.

I would not have even tried to  update to Windows 10, had I checked with Dell first, as XPS 8300 is not on the compatibility list.  Wish Microsoft had  checked further before posting  it was okay to proceed with install.

Good luck, XPS 8300 users!

No Events found!