Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2017 16:00

XPS 8300 will not turn on.

Green light on the back of the PSU and amber light on the motherboard. No lights on the power button. Replaced CMOS battery and no changes. Originally the computer started crashing with an error related to RAM. I found that one of the sticks of ram was just ever so slightly unseated. I pushed it down and this solved the issue but a couple weeks later the power button took multiple presses to turn on. Now it won’t turn on at all. Do you think the issue is the motherboard or the power supply? I could buy both for about 48$ on ebay. I realize this computer is very old but it still does what I need it to. Really sad it seems to be dead.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 29th, 2017 05:00

13CHASE2,

You may want to consider replacing both the motherboard as well as the power supply on this system. 

2 Posts

November 30th, 2017 17:00

How difficult will it be to first transfer all the components? I haven’t ever done anything like this and I am not sure how it will act when i turn it on.. Will I have to install all new drivers? Will the hard drive act like it’s the same computer or will I have to reformat everything. Also will I have to purchase a new copy of windows

• 

16.7K Posts

December 1st, 2017 04:00

13CHASE2 ,

You will have to format and reinstall all drivers. You would not have to get another copy of Windows if you already have a copy. Click the link below to download the online manuals. The service manual will guide your through removing/replacing parts.

XPS 8300 Drivers,Downloads and Manuals

No Events found!