Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 18:00

XPS 8500 CPU to Monitor hookup question

First, my apologies if the question I'm about to ask has been answered many times or seems stupid. I've looked for an answer in the product database and on the various fora for what I consider to be a reasonable length of time and did not find an answer. I tend to replace (higher end) computers about every 5-6 years and with every replacement comes a new set of technologies to learn and understand. (I'm also over 60 but please don't hold that against me-someday you'll be that age too if you're lucky and try to live right)  My old Sony Vaio desktop had the customary VGA video output which I hooked up to an even older cathode tube monitor and later to a flat screen monitor.

Ok, so what's my question? Fairly basic: I bought a new 27" Viewsonic 1080P HD monitor and find it has two input jacks-one is the customary VGA and the other labeled "DVI-D". The new XPS has the usual VGA output jack and then two apparent additional video output jacks labeled: HDMI and "[0]" (????)  I really don't care much what the [0] jack signifies but I would like to know how I can get the highest possible definition/resolution displayed on my HD monitor? The Dell quick start up guide under "Connect the Display" shows five different connection configurations beside the VGA version. I bought an HDMI cable from my local Fry's Electronics but have no idea if its what I need or if it will work with my CPU and monitor configuration. Moreover, Dell put two black plastic caps over the HDMI and the [0] jacks so am I to assume they are "dead" connections or what? Please don't tell me to ask Dell for a CPU refund or call Geek Squad and pay them $300 to come out and hook up one cable..it can't be THAT complicated- just knowing what cable to connects to where seems simple. Thanks in advance for any valid answers. I did contact Dell tech support and after waiting 15 minutes for the agent to reply to my question, I bailed.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2013 07:00

I usually do not "reply" to my own postings but I made an error in the information. The alleged "VGA" output jack at the bottom of the back of the CPU is actually NOT a VGA port (which has 3 rows of 5 pins each for a total of 15 pins) Upon closer examination, (put my reading glasses on) it has three rows of eight pins per row (24 total) plus off to the left side a 4 pin jack in a plus sign or cross configuration. My monitor has the same number of pin inlets (24) in the same configuration (without the 4 pin side jack) so assuming this equal number of pins (24) represents compatibilty between the CPU and Monitor, all I need to do now is obtain the appropriate cable and the problem is solved. Thanks again, Kirk, for giving me a starting point to work from. Now on to contact Dell tech support for my Win. 8 Pro issues....

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 26th, 2013 10:00

That socket is the DVI video. Get a DVI to DVI cable and you are good to go.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 25th, 2013 22:00

The plastic cover should be covering both the VGA and HDMI sockets for "on-board" video. You have a descrete video board, so the on-board sockets are NOT active. Below these sockets you should see additional sockets on the descrete video board, an HDMI and a DVI socket, but no VGA socket. Use your DVI cable along with a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor, or get a DVI-DVI cable. Either cable will give maximum, performance. You will also need to provide an audio cable to whatever sound system you have.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2013 07:00

First, thank you most kindly for your reply, Kirk.D.  Judging by the sporadic activity I've observed on some of these Community posting boards, I was concerned any reply might be far off or never.

Discrete video board?  My "as shipped" spec sheet shows an AMD Radeon HD 7770 video card (a good one I presume but not an ultra performance card) I'll have to go back and look for any output jacks and recap the plastic covers over the unusable HDMI and ":emotion-31:" outlets. The VGA output jack is at the bottom of the CPU backside and was never covered with anything. It is my understanding the old VGA technology predates High Definition and therefore is limited in its resolution/definition capabilities. At least you've given me something to work on and if I can locate the proper output jack perhaps the problem's solved. I would also ask if the HDMI output on the computer is the same as the "DVI-D" input on the monitor but I can Google that for myself or go to the Viewsonic website and not waste board space or your time. Thanks again for your help. It would seem reasonable for the literature that comes with the computer to answer these basic set up questions but since the Dell Quick Start Up Guide is in five languages that apparently precludes getting into much detail.

No Events found!