Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: XPS 8700 - Black screen before getting to Windows 7 screen. Help plz.

Jump to solution

What is the boot order of the BIOS? Is it set to boot from your internal hard drive first?

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
volt01
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the attention. I rebooted in safe mode. Guess what happened. The black screen delay is gone!!  

At this point, what could be the problem causing the black screen delay in normal windows mode?

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

That sounds like it's a driver problem.

First off- update your video driver...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
volt01
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. I updated it to the latest version, which is Nvidia driver version 344.75.

New updates: As you mentioned about the antivirus program, I tried uninstalling it.  After the uninstallation, the boot up speed significantly improved. I didn't realize the program would cause this much trouble. I can just live with the speed now. 

I really appreciate for all the attention and help. It was very informative. I believe many people would find it useful if they run into the slow boot up problem.       

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

But you still need to have antiviral protection!

Not sure what you were using, but at the very least turn on Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7) or Windows Defender (Win 8) and the Windows firewall.

Is it possible whatever you were using was set to scan at boot? That would certainly cause a delay. I believe McAfee has that option as do others like SUPERAntispyware.

So all you'd really need do is find and disable the "scan at boot" option in whatever software you were using.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
volt01
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sure thing. Right after I removed that program, I realized I should've just managed the setting instead of deleting it. So I ended up reinstalling it. By the way, the program I've been using is Bitdefender total protection 2015.

Thank you again for the advice.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos