Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2013 09:00

XPS 8700 Media Card Reader Does not appear anywhere

I have a one month old XPS 8700 which is upgraded to Win 8.1 (64bit).  I tried to use the card reader for the first time yesterday with no success.  No indication upon inserting a valid SD card(tried 2), nothing in File Explorer .  No obvious entry in the Device Manager indicating the existence of the device.  No HW in the device manager indicating any HW issues.  Any thoughts other than opening up the box to see if it's connected?   Bailey05

2 Posts

June 10th, 2015 18:00

Had the same issue with xps8700, win8.1.  Called Dell.  Was told to shut down, unplug machine, hold power button for 15 sec, then restart.  Worked like a charm!  Was told it is due to static charge on card reader.  Don't know whether that's true, but the fix worked!! Easy!

December 2nd, 2013 21:00

Hi,

I've got the same problem. My XPS 8700 is almost 2 months old but I tried using the SD card reader for the first time today. No cards are recognized. My first instinct was to Google it and from what I've seen it looks like other computer models are affected like this due to the Windows 8.1 "upgrade". The drivers that Dell posted for our model don't seem to do anything at the moment. Here's the one I tried:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-8700?driverId=0RF55&osCode=WB64A&fileId=3290125298&languageCode=EN&categoryId=RS

Seems like a relatively new problem. If I figure out anything I'll be sure to post back here.

-Sol Knightt

December 2nd, 2013 23:00

Hi,

I've got the same problem. My XPS 8700 is almost 2 months old but I tried using the SD card reader for the first time today. No cards are recognized. My first instinct was to Google it and from what I've seen it looks like other computer models are affected like this due to the Windows 8.1 "upgrade". The drivers that Dell posted for our model don't seem to do anything at the moment. Here's the one I tried:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-8700?driverId=0RF55&osCode=WB64A&fileId=3290125298&languageCode=EN&categoryId=RS

Seems like a relatively new problem. If I figure out anything I'll be sure to post back here.

-Sol Knightt

Hi,

Have you tried updating the application thats compatible with Win 8.1

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-8700?driverId=0RF55

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 12:00

Spent 2 hours online with Dell yesterday.  Did all the SW ideas, drivers, etc.  No luck, plan is a tech visit not yet scheduled.  When I powered up this AM the drives were visible (file settings set to allow visibility of empty drive) and a SD card actually read.  However, tried a couple of more times and the drives would disappear..  This looks a lot like a mechanical / connectivity issue being related to inserting and removing the cards.  Loose or bad cable or connection.  I'll wait to see what the Tech visit resolves.

December 4th, 2013 14:00

[quote user="Sol Knightt"]

Hi,

-Sol Knightt

Hi,

Have you tried updating the application thats compatible with Win 8.1

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-8700?driverId=0RF55

[/quote]

Hi VeejDeej,

Yes, the item you linked to is the same one I linked to in my previous post. After a few reboots the card reader seemed to be working. I'm not sure why it didn't work after the first reboot. I'll keep testing it out.

Thanks!
-Sol Knightt

1 Message

December 8th, 2013 19:00

I called Dell and remotely took over my computer to fix my card readers.  it was a software issue.

December 15th, 2013 17:00

My card reader was working just fine for a month or so (Windows 7 Home Premium), but then I had problems and it "disappeared."  It didn't do a thing when an SD card was plugged in, nor did it show up in Windows Explorer.  I ran the Dell diagnostics and everything checked out fine.  I called Dell and worked with a Tech who connected remotely to my computer.  He couldn't find the card reader.  He reloaded the drivers and it still would not work.  Finally, I suggested that I remove and reinstall the unit.  He agreed, so I powered down, pulled the connector from the motherboard, then booted up with it disconnected.  A small window appeared that the new equipment was ready to use!  I powered down again, plugged the card reader into the motherboard and booted again.  Been working for a week or so, but last night the same thing happened.  Again, I have no card reader... it just disappeared.

I am using an external card reader plugged into the USB port (that I had been using with my old computer), and it works fine.  Guess I'll keep using the external one! 

December 16th, 2013 13:00

More testing:  Today I tried rebooting, but that did not help.  I shut down the computer, removed the cover and removed the connector that the tech said was the card reader.  (lower right connector on the motherboard... connector marked "USB3")  Then, with the connector still unplugged, I booted up the computer.  I now have the card reader drive letters in Windows Explorer.  Just for curiosity, I put in an SD card.  I can see the card and read it!  How is that possible with the cable disconnected????  I plugged the cable back in (after shutting down the computer again), and again tried the card reader.  It works.  Something is not right with the connections.  If it works without being plugged into the motherboard, did the tech give me the wrong connector or is the internal card reader connected some other way?  So many questions!

Anyway, the card reader is working (for now), but I will not use it.  It seems to be scrambling my SD card data!  The external USB connected card reader works fine.  (I've been using it with the old computer - also a Dell - for a long time.)

7 Posts

May 1st, 2014 21:00

Any updates for this issue. I had it for a recently installed XPS 8700 running Win 7. I loaded a new driver for the media reader, usb 2, and the light on the media reader stayed lit, then began blinking. It is on intermittenly now and I doubt it will function.

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

I believe the real issue is that the built in card reader has a dual connection to the mother board and apparently gets confused.  I quit using the built in card reader and have been using an external card reader with no problem.  After two SD cards got scrambled (photos from my Nikon Camera) trying to read them into the computer using the built in card reader, I decided it was not worth the risk.  I told the Dell tech that I am done working on the issue and to close the ticket.  So that's been my solution and it's been rock solid using the external (USB) card reader.  I have over a terrabyte of photos on my computer.  The only problem I ever had was with the built in card reader on the XPS 8700.  I suggest that you do not use it if you value your data (on the memory cards).

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

Thanks for the response. That is what I am using; an external reader. But Dell should honor their warranties and I will continue to press them for a solution as per their warranty. If they are unresponsive, a complaint to my state consumer affairs will be in order. A simple solution is to just replace the reader.

May 2nd, 2014 17:00

The tech wanted to replace the card reader module, but I'm sure that's not the problem, so I didn't want them to do it.  I just said "forget it," and continued to use the external reader.  If you want to continue trying to get it to work, I would suggest you find out about the dual motherboard connection and if that is true, just unplug one connection and leave it unplugged.  I had a similar problem with a USB hub one time when I had power supplied through the USB connection AND a power adapter.  Once I figured out I did not need the power adapter, all was well.  I can't say for sure the dual feed from the motherboard is the problem, but during testing, when one connection was removed from the motherboard, the installed card reader worked fine.  It's a long story (the testing sequence), but I just gave up.  Good luck with finding a resolution!

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 18:00

I gave their chat page a try and the rep seemed to know what was going on. The reader is now working after a very brief discussion with him. Here is what has worked so far. Shut off system, unplug power cord on back of the 8700, wait 30 seconds, reconnect power cord, start system, insert card into slot and check computer drives. The memory card was found each time I inserted it. It has not failed yet, we will see. It is the same type of procedure used for cable modem issues.

May 2nd, 2014 19:00

I recall doing that as well.  Mine failed again later.  I hope yours keeps working.  Good luck.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2014 11:00

New Dell XPS8700 Win 7 64b two weeks old. Had Disk Management screen displayed showing all four (4) Media Player Disk positions available. Went to plug in an SD Memory card and as SD card came in contact physically for SD slot insertion, all displayed  four Media Disks went away.

Tested SD card in USB adapter and card (s) read OK there. Examined Device Manger,  'Disk Drives' option no longer showing presence of the four (4) Disk drive memory devices. Right clicked on 'Disk Drive' and selected 'Scan for hardware changes', none found. Examined Mother Board cables and connections. All were OK.

Powered down and rebooted. No change, Media Player still not working. Searched Internet for similar issues. One return suggested unplugging power cord and reconnecting fixed issue. Tried this and upon boot, all four (4)  Media Player Disk drives are back and working correctly!

Summary:

It appears the Media Player went inactive when the SD card came in contact with it suggesting a static electric charge caused it to fail? Removing the power cord allows it to 'Reset' when next powered up. If so, the Media Player electronics is suspect.

BoboMo

No Events found!