Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

December 18th, 2014 16:00

XPS 8700 nVidia GTX video card upgrades,

Now that the XPS A10 8700 BIOS update is out, Chris-M would like to close the long Black screen of death thread.

Let's use this to post successes and links out to other forums with tips, tricks and how-to-resolve issues with high-end nVidia GTX cards. 

This will help others choose wisely or perhaps find a solution to an already solved problem.

In the body of your post, if you have upgraded to a high-end nVidia GTX graphics card, please list the following.

* specific video card
* exact driver version
* Brand monitor and resolution and cable type: HDMI, DVI, Display Port or (yikes) VGA
* specific power supply you are using if you upgraded or indicate Stock Dell 460W.

Ask questions, link to benchmarks, describe what has gone well and reflect on what you might have done differently.

I encourage AMD owners to start a similar discussion, but let us keep this thread to high end nVidia GTX cards only. 

High end should imply above and beyond what Dell has shipped, or more than a GTX 660 or GTX 750ti.

GTX 760, 770, 780, 780ti, 970 and 980 graphics cards are what I would consider high-end.

20 Posts

April 5th, 2016 17:00

Maniak,

Grab these at Amazon:

1) Noctua NFA A9 PWM 

Buy 2 if you want to quiet down the PC then buy 3 if you don't want a high CFM fan on the rear case exhaust which will make the PC really quiet except when the GPU fans kicks in.

Then buy this fan controller:

2) Evercool Twister Fan Speed Controller PCI slot or 3.5"

Then buy this molex to 3 pin connectors:

3) Modtek 4-pin to Molex to 4 x 3 pin Fan Connector Cable

Then buy this for the SSD

4) Rosewill 2.5-Inch SSD/HDD Mounting Kit for 3.5-Inch Drive Bay w/60mm Fan RDRD-11003

The idea is have 1 front intake running 100%, the mobo controlled case fan to be reused as intake fan (make sure to flip the fan so that it won't exhaust at the front of the case), rear case fan to be controlled by the PCI fan controller.

If you are thinking of running your rig for hours with the GPU running 100% of the time then you need to use a high output fan on the rear case to exhaust serious heat but with the cost of decibels

I used this fan as my rear exhaust fan...a little loud but I am not irritated by it on the lowest settings. If I put it on full speed I need to leave the room:

5) Bgears 90 mm 2 Ball Bearing High Speed High Performance Fan, Translucent Black (b-PWM 90 Black 2ball)

Happy modding!!

Thank you so much! Going to add to my cart now!

53 Posts

April 5th, 2016 17:00

I have to update my Bios when I got my XPS 8900 to work with the GTX 980 ti. You can always try not updating it but I would update it if I were you just to make sure it will work fine with your machine.

1.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 21:00

What GPU are you running?

Depends on which picture. It was an MSI GTX 770 2G, and later was an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

the 970 (lower) is slightly larger.

20 Posts

The picture looks more ghetto than it really is. This is my Son's system after adding a 120MM front fan.

The rear PCI slot covers are removed which gives more exhaust venting.

This one runs on a Y cable along with the rear exhaust fan.

the seasonic PSU is also setup to have the fan always running so there is a slight amount of exhaust out of the PSU.

I have yet to run any case temp tests with a thermometer but I can tell it is running much cooler after opening this up.

That said, it will be a dust monster without any front screens so this is a future to-do.

note: this was cut with Tin snips and finished with a dremel cutting tool. I only had an hour to do the mods so it was a rush and will get cleaned up sometime in the future.

other notes: you can't really see it, but the HDD cage is removed and there is only a single HDD in the 3.5 inch slot under the optical drives with a 2.5 inch SSD is in the lower 5.25 inch drive bay.

1.2K Posts

Once it is sitting on the floor with the plastic front bezel re-attached, you cannot notice the hack job on the front of the metal case.

But you can feel a nice breeze out the back.

Removing the PCI slot blanks is a must-do.

1.2K Posts

here is a before and after with the 92mm fan without any case mods and the 120mm with a nice opening cut.

1.2K Posts

The picture looks more ghetto than it really is. This is my Son's system after adding a 120MM front fan.

The rear PCI slot covers are removed which gives more exhaust venting.

This one runs on a Y cable along with the rear exhaust fan.

the seasonic PSU is also setup to have the fan always running so there is a slight amount of exhaust out of the PSU.

I have yet to run any case temp tests with a thermometer but I can tell it is running much cooler after opening this up.

That said, it will be a dust monster without any front screens so this is a future to-do.

note: this was cut with Tin snips and finished with a dremel cutting tool. I only had an hour to do the mods so it was a rush and will get cleaned up sometime in the future.

other notes: you can't really see it, but the HDD cage is removed and there is only a single HDD in the 3.5 inch slot under the optical drives with a 2.5 inch SSD is in the lower 5.25 inch drive bay.

20 Posts

Maniak

Depends on which picture. It was an MSI GTX 770 2G, and later was an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

the 970 (lower) is slightly larger.

Ok thanks, trying to get an idea of clearance of an MSI gtx 980. I believe the 970 has similar dimensions? Thank you

1.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 22:00

Ok, this isn't fair but I want to post it anyway to compare an 8700 with a GTX 970 and a seasonic X-650 PSU with a similar class system but custom built for overclocking with maximum air cooling. The upper one is my son's, the lower one is mine. I don't game much but I push the CPU very hard at times. CPU is a 4790K at 4.7Ghz and even when heavily loaded for long durations, the four 140mm intake fans and a single 140mm exhaust with PCI slot blanks removed combined with a massive CPU cooler keep everything comfortably cool. Graphics card is exactly the same, an MSI GTX 970 4G.

My point is look at the open space in a larger "workstation sized" case and the amount of air flow you can add. The case is a Fractal Design R5 and they can be had for about $90 USD. So, if after adding a spendy 980ti, and a big hot PSU you find temps are not behaving, I would consider re-casing the system.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2016 09:00

I have a XPS 8900 and looking to "safely upgrade to a GTX 9700, in my old XPS 410 I added a Thermal Take Power Express external power unit to run an old GTS 8800...I was wondering if anyone has any idea if it would work or not...it seems as if it is strong enough..

www.tigerdirect.com/.../item-details.asp

1.2K Posts

April 6th, 2016 12:00

Ok thanks, trying to get an idea of clearance of an MSI gtx 980. I believe the 970 has similar dimensions? Thank you

Depends on the exact card.  that MSI GTX 970 barely fits.

from nVidia's site, here are the dimensions, so it appears the 980ti is 5mm taller than the 970. 

MSI GTX 980ti Gaming 6G Card Dimension(mm)  277 x 140 x 40

MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Card Dimension(mm) 279 x 140 x 36

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Card Dimension(mm) 277 x 140 x 35

53 Posts

might work but why bother. just replace the stock PSU and it will cost you the same thing and won't have another thing to worry about.

87 Posts

Maniak

from nVidia's site, here are the dimensions, so it appears the 980ti is 5mm taller than the 970. 

Somewhere in this thread I have a photo of my MSI 980 Ti in my old XPS 8700 case...

Anyways, I went from 

1. Having a 970

2. Trading it in for a 980 Ti, cutting out some sheet metal in the XPS to fit it.

3. Wasn't happy with the temperatures, moved it into a new case.

4. Got a 1440P monitor

5. Wasn't happy with performances with new games at 1440P

6. Got a new mobo from reddit hardware swap, another 980 ti and now I'm SLI the both of them. 

Essentially, my computer isn't a XPS 8700 anymore =/

20 Posts

April 6th, 2016 13:00

Maniak

Just adding a 980 not the 980ti. Thanks for your help

4 Posts

April 6th, 2016 13:00

I already own the Thermaltake. Just wondering if I need to invest in a PSU..

No Events found!