Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2013 09:00

XPS 8700, restart issues with peripherals attached?

I have now received two of these machines and they both have the same problem, i.e., if you hook up two peripherals (in my case it is the PRINTER and REAL FLIGHT SIMULATOR) windows will not re-start, if I unplug one of the peripherals the Windows will re-start.  Talked to Tech Support  gurus in INDIA and the outcome has been useless.  Both Machines were assembled in Mexico.  I would certainly like to hear from one Dell's Einsteins as to what could possibly be wrong. P.S. Tech Support took over my computer and was still unable to correct the problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 30th, 2013 11:00

How is USB Boot Support set in BIOS Setup? You may need to disable that if it's currently enabled.

Are you sure the boot hard drive is first in the boot sequence in BIOS setup?

Have you tried different combinations of rear USB ports?

Is it possible these devices are just drawing too much power from the USB hub when connected at the same time? In this case, a USB hub with its own external power brick might help. Connect the power brick to the wall, and the hub to a rear USB port. Connect power hungry printer etc through the powered hub to the PC.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 30th, 2013 13:00

Power supply for the xps 8700 is internal. There is no power brick. 

13 Posts

Tech Support went through the whole process by tapping F2, we also tried all of the USB Ports supplied by the computer, front, top and rear,nothing. Shouldn't this computer have come with it's own Power Brick (which it did not) like others. So, the bottom line is Dell messed up and did not supply me the Power Brick, now you have given me the tool to bend Tech Support's ears or, they are just going to deny it.  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Please do not put words in my mouth! :emotion-12:

I never said you should have gotten a power brick with the XPS 8700. It has its own internal power supply.

What I said was maybe your USB peripherals are trying to draw too much power from the USB ports. (There's a limit of 500 mA on USB2 ports and 900 mA on USB3 ports.) If the peripherals are trying to draw more than these limits, that can cause a variety of problems. And in that case an external USB hub with its own power brick might solve the problem.

A powered USB hub is an optional item that you have to buy on your own from a PC shop or online. (Dell might even sell them ). It's not a standard item that comes with this model PC or any other PC.

13 Posts

Ron, here is the scenario:

Secure Boot.....................Enabled

Load Legacy OPROM..............Enabled

Keyboard Errors.......................Report

USB Boot Support...................Disabled

1st Booty Device......................Internal HDD Device

2       "           "............................ ODD Device

3       "           " ...........................  USB Storage Device

4       "           ".............................USB Floppy Device

5       "           " ............................Onboard NIC Device

Hard disk Drivers

CD/DVD ROM Drivers.

Would now please give me another solution or should I once again return this computer that came without it's Power Brick and let Tech Support know of this flaw.  Thanks.

13 Posts

August 30th, 2013 14:00

I should not buy a power brick, if you must call this number 1-800-624-9896 and give them this Express Service Code [Moderator Edit to protect member's privacy.] I know you are not with Dell so be discreet, at this time I am speaking with Dell Tech Support Hasef, I know if call in which case you will not, you tell them exactly what you have stated.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 30th, 2013 14:00

Dell has no control over what or how many devices you connect to your PC. If you exceed the USB power limits, assuming that's what's actually happening here, you have deal with it, not Dell.

13 Posts

August 31st, 2013 00:00

If Dell does not provide enough internal power in their XPS 8700 then why is there 10 USB ports for all the peripherals you can add.  I only allows 2 peripherals and if you add a third one windows will not re-start, also why Dell does not include basic Word Perfect, you have to buy it. Dell knowing this should have supplied external power brick for this computer and why is it that they sell external Power Supply Brick . 

Dell you all have a very nice day building the XPS 8700.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 31st, 2013 05:00

Okay theres a few things which could have went wrong here, it could be one of the devices. e.g. I had an external hard drive and it would prevent Windows from booting. It would pause at the Starting Windows screen and this happened with at least 10 computers. I had to disconnect it in order to pass this screen. Formatting the external hard drive worked in my case.

It could be a fault with the driver for the printer for instance, maybe more likely if the printer also has a memory card slot or it could be with the flight simulator itself. Please provide the model of printer you are connecting and also of the flight simulator.

In the meant-time lets try a few things, first disconnect the 2 problem devices.

Then restart Windows and go to the device manager. (press [Windows] and [Pause|Break] and select Device Manager).

Right click all your generic USB hubs and disable the allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Also go to Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options and set to High Performance

Run the Intel Update Utility http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/ to see if Intel have any update for your Chipset available.

13 Posts

August 31st, 2013 11:00

Ok, just for my own curiosity I attempted to restart the newly purchased Dell XPS 8700, it failed, the reason, I had my Real Flight Simulator plugged into one of the top two USB slots.  I unplugged it and the and the systems re-booted itself.  It is not the Flight Simulator, it is the computer's configuration.  I have no problem running  any peripherals on my HP Desk Top nor my HP Laptop, including external hard drive, Flight Simulator, Printer, Key Board etc.  When I have time I shall run through the steps mentioned earlier and see if the problem can be resolved. 

13 Posts

August 31st, 2013 11:00

Ok, I unplugged the Toshiba external hard drive (backup) and the system is now booting up.  I am using 3 USB ports, wireless keyboard,Canon Printer and  Great Planes Real Flight R/C Flight Simulator.  The question again, why does this computer have 10 USB ports and one can only use 3 at a time?. What is the maximum power supply module that can be used safely in this computer?. Thanks for your input, but  I am still very disappointed in this computer.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2014 15:00

I just bought a XPS 8700 directly from Dell and I have never used such a fussy computer in all my life. It keeps on kicking me out of programs and then it won't boot. I also have a new hp printer and had a time getting the software to install. ugh.. We have called tech support and they were able to get windows running again, but the computer still is having issues.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 11:00

I just bought a XPS 8700 directly from Dell and I have never used such a fussy computer in all my life. It keeps on kicking me out of programs and then it won't boot. I also have a new hp printer and had a time getting the software to install. ugh.. We have called tech support and they were able to get windows running again, but the computer still is having issues.

You should have started your own new thread...

What version of Windows? Did you update Windows with all the latest patches and hotfixes from Microsoft's Update site?

Did you update to the latest versions of BIOS and drivers from the Dell Support site?

Do you know your software is compatible with whatever version of Windows you're running? If not, try installing and running that software in Compatibility Mode with whatever version of Windows you know it works.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 09:00

Hi Ron, Sorry I didn't start a new thread. I did not know how to do that. I just purchased the XPS 8700 in February, 2014 from Dell.com and it came installed with the latest Windows 8.1. We checked for Microsoft updates and we have the computer set to automatic updates. We checked also for dell new drivers and it said we had the most current. We did update to Bios A06. The computer is crashing/freezing daily in different programs such as Microsoft outlook, internet explorer and even dell's diagnostic software. I have followed some of the advice from previous posts. I even have my own powered USB hub (thinking it's a USB problem) where I have my printer attached to hub instead of the computer's usb. I have installed AutoCAD 2004 in compatible mode and that program is working fine. Today, I emailed the Servicedesk23@dell.com So hopefully they can help find what the problem is with this computer. I love my dell monitor and it's working great! Thanks for any advice, for I am not an IT person. Deb

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 10:00

On any forum home page, eg Desktop General Hardware, there's a blue New Post Button on the right side which will start a new thread.

You're not alone with Outlook freezing with Win 8.1. Seems to be a Microsoft problem. See if this thread on the MS forum is of any help.

And see this thread on the MS forum for IE problems with Win 8.1.

I'm not a fan of Dell's diagnostics software so I'll leave that alone... 

I believe you only get free software support for first 30 days from Dell. Don't let them talk you into an expensive add-on software warranty for beyond 30 days. :emotion-5:

And I'm not an IT person either.

No Events found!