Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2016 09:00

XPS 8910, Power Supply fan not running

I bought an XPS 8910 last August.  Recently it has been rebooting on its own from time to time. Thinking it might be an overheating problem I opened it up and noticed the power supply unit fan does not run at all when the computer is on (or off for that matter).  The CPU fan works fine.

QUESTIONS:

1) Am I correct in believing that PSU fan should run at all times that computer is on?

2) If PSU is defective, how do I go about getting Dell to send a replacement (I'm under warranty until August 2017).

Tks!

33 Posts

March 19th, 2017 14:00

the fan isnt supposed to spin until you are throwing more than 20% load on the unit

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 7th, 2016 11:00

It should at least spin up when the 8910 is powered on. But I have never heard of one stopping while in windows. While plugged in but off, press an d hold in the #9 power supply diagnostic button.

If the #8 LED stays green, the power supply has passed. If it fails, contact Technical Support. Provide the system service tag number, your shipping data, etc.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2016 12:00

Hi Chris:

OK, I shut down the computer and pushed the #9 button.  The green light did come on and the CPU fan raced on (with seemingly much higher RPM than normal).  The power supply fan, however, did NOT come on during the test (don't know if it's supposed to).

Now, since turning the computer back on I have noticed the power supply fan still has not come on even once and I've been powered up again now for about 15-20 minutes.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2016 08:00

Tks Chris!  Will do.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 8th, 2016 08:00

I cannot find any other 8910 users saying that the PSU fan never spins. But to be safe, go ahead and get it replaced using those prior instructions. Be sure that the onsite technician turns the 8910 on and checks the replacement PSU fan.

December 30th, 2016 04:00

I can confirm that i have the same problem. PSU fan did not turn from the first day i powered on. I just ran the above diagnostics and have the same result. The CPU fan spins full speed, PSU fan nada.

Contacted Dell Tech support (Singapore) twice....no response.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2017 16:00

I had PDU noise issue and technican replaced new PDU and now noticed the fan does not kick on at all while boot, shutdown or minor load..

1 Message

March 26th, 2017 16:00

My 8910 power supply fan (the one visible when you open the case) doesn't move.  The CPU side gets loud and soft and loud.

25 Posts

May 6th, 2017 07:00

Just to be clear, are you saying the power supply fan should run when you push the test button?  I have had my xps8910 for about 6 weeks and the power supply fan has never kicked in, not at startup or shutdown, or when surfing the net.  Is there any way to make the fan run to verify that it is working properly if the work load exceeds the 20% threshold that is supposed to energize this fan.  Tks.  

June 14th, 2017 17:00

I had this same issue, called dell, they said the pwr supply fan only runs when it needs to. It never runs. The top chassis fan runs and it makes a clicking noise. I am looking for a replacement fan now. I am not happy with this computer.

September 17th, 2017 15:00

The PSU fan never spins in my XPS 8920, even when testing with the power test button or stressing the CPU to 100%. It has the same part number GJXN1 460w Delta in XPS 8910, which is considered to be defective. But I do not have any noise issue, since it never runs:(.

Any idea?

Thanks,

LittleBear84

No Events found!