Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 11th, 2011 05:00

XPS 9100 Terrible Fan Noise

I just received my new XPS 9100. When the computer is idle, one of the fans inside the computer case produces a super loud noise every 5 minutes (it goes through a cycle). While gaming, the fan works nonstop on the highest speed. The fan is so loud that I got a headache after 5 hours of working with the computer. I think the noise is coming from the graphic card fan (AMD 5870). Is this a common issue? What should I do to solve it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2011 05:00

Hi Fkhaddad,

Please contact Dell tech support and they'll arrange to get your video card replaced. Sorry to hear about this, especially a brand new system.

Good luck!

4 Posts

May 11th, 2011 18:00

I just opened the case, and I noticed that the noise is coming from the tall cylindrical fan mounted on CPU. Will Dell fix that for me, or should I go and buy a CPU fan myself?

14.4K Posts

May 11th, 2011 19:00

If you are still under warranty they will. If you are within your onsite support time frame they will send a tech otherwise they will provide the parts for you.

4 Posts

May 11th, 2011 19:00

New discovery! The fan is broken! The shipped it to me broken. That means they dropped the box. Well, I'll request a new computer or get a refund. Since the box is dropped, I don't know what other parts might be damaged. Besides, the CPU has been running with 100c temp. for the past two days, which has reduced the life of it already!

4 Posts

May 12th, 2011 16:00

They agreed to send me a new system. :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 12th, 2011 18:00

Good to hear!

1 Message

December 14th, 2012 18:00

My STUDIO XPS 9100 CPU FAN is getting this annoying loud noise from time to time. It suddenly get very loud and stopped for a while. I tried to use SpeedFan to control it but seems not working. Called Dell support and it seems that the warranty has expired. I will try to get a quotation and get a new heatsink + CPU Fan to see if it fix the noisy problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 15th, 2012 04:00

Hi Swmacpat,

There are a few fans in your XPS 9100. What I suggest you do is open the case, then start up the system and listen carefully to determine where the noise is coming from. Frequently, it's the video card fan, not the case fan, that causes a noisy system.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2013 07:00

My CPU fan is also broken - please let me know what you did to fix. Where did you get the parts?

No Events found!