Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2011 08:00

XPS A2010 Upgraded Processor = Noisy Fan?

Installed Windows 7 32 bit on my bosses XPS One.  She complained about constant lag so I decided to upgrade the processor and double the memory from 2 G ram to 4G.  

The original processor is the factory installed Intel 2.33 Mhz with a 4mb L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB.  

The upgraded processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB.

It's much faster--which is lovely--but the fan is now noisier also.  I'm pretty tech savvy (and have googled my heart out to no avail)--is this because of the faster processor or the 12M cache or did I just screw up?

Ames

Thanks Fireberd.....I'll try reapplying the Arctic Silver compund and see if things improve.  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I assume the Q9650 is compatible since it's working. 

The new CPU probably generates more heat (or potentially can run hotter) thus causing the cooling fan to run faster.

Another potential reason the fan is running faster is because either the heat sink compound used was either not applied properly or a better grade of compound should be used.  "Arctic Silver" is the heatsink compound choice of many techies as it has a better heat transfer and thus the CPU can run cooler.

5 Posts

June 25th, 2011 05:00

So did it help? I put a E8400 in my A2010 and the ran at full power, too. I guess it might be a problem with reading the temps from the new CPU. Maybe the BIOS is too old and cannot read it correctly, so it turns the fan at full power.

No Events found!