Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2010 10:00

XPS Gen 5 CPU Compatibility

Hello all you holders of answers that I need,

Back in 2005 I purchased an XPS Gen 5 system from Dell.  It has a 3.0ghz Pentium D Dual Core processor.  Until recently, that was much more power than I needed.  I have installed a piece of software that claims that my CPU doesn' t have enough "horsepower" to get the job done.  I need to know if the Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.73ghz CPU will work in this system.

It has the 955X Express chipset and according to the manual, it can run the FSB at 1066mhz depending on the CPU.  It has a 460 watt power supply.  I keep reading different discussions on the net about this and have not found anything absolutely definitive as to whether that CPU will work in this system.  I have no real need to purchase a new computer as this one should suffice with a little upgrade to the CPU.

Any info appreciated

Are there any Dell techs out there that have seen this system configured with the 3.73 Extreme Edition CPU?

thanx

3 Posts

December 17th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for the reply,

I did read that thread and at the bottom "manydimensions" said this:

"The fastest processor you can run is the Pentium D 965 EE 3.73GHz  at a cost of around $600+ for the OEM CPU."

That made me think I had found the answer but then "xcator" replied and said this:

"you may be able to boot a 955EE or 965EE in a Gen 5 but it will not work at the right clock speed due to bios limitations.  bios overclocking will not work right either.  An 840EE works and will overclock to 3.6 in the bios and should be stable.  It's been reported that a Pentium D 945 and 950 will work with bios A04. "

That threw in the little bug of doubt.  I really don't know what the max CPU I can install in my system at this point.

3 Posts

You know what's funny?  When I clicked on your google search link I saw a bunch of links that I had already visited.  I've looked at this for quite some time without actually seeing someone from Dell come out and say what the max CPU is for my machine.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Flyle,

Did you already see this thread in your search?

Here's a Google search for you, too.

No Events found!