Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 15th, 2012 16:00

XPS One 27 BIOS Upgrade Question

I have a new XPS One 27 (Win 7, Home Premium, 8GB).  I got an alter that I need to upgrade my BIOS from A02 to A08.  While I am somewhat tech informed, I know this is out of my comfort zone and messing with the BIOS is a recipe for disaster.  In reading the fora on BIOS upgrading I am even more nervous about messing with it.

My questions are simple:

1) I am having no problems and am quite happy with my One 27, do I need to mess with the BIOS?

2) If I need to, can someone point me to the SAFEST way to do this?  As noted above, the current BIOS is A02.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Houston, TX

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 15th, 2012 17:00

I presume you mean XPS One 2710.

If the system is under warranty, then you might consider updating BIOS. If the update fails, Dell should replace the motherboard under the warranty. If it's not under warranty, you have some things to consider:

If you plan to upgrade to Win8, you will need to update BIOS first.

If you look at the Fixes & Enhancements listed for each prior version (A03, A05, A06), you'll get an idea if you should update. Note: you only need to update to the latest version (A08) because it will have all the changes included in the prior releases.

If you decide to update, disconnect all peripherals, including network connection, leaving only mouse, monitor and keyboard, once you download the file to your desktop.  Be sure to disable your antiviral software before launching the update. Don't turn the machine off while the update is in progress, and don't start the the update if there are any electrical storms or risks of power outage in your area.

After the flash is done, shut down normally, re-connect the peripherals and network cable, and reboot. Be sure to re-enable your antiviral software before going on line.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Guess those guys type faster than I do...  :emotion-2:

14.4K Posts

There really is no "safest way" to install a bios other than to follow all the instructions that the bios vendor supplies.

On your first point the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Your pretty much correct in your thinking that if you don't have any issues don't  up date.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Chris,

We don't normally suggest you update the BIOS unless there is a specific reason why you need to.

25 Posts

November 15th, 2012 19:00

Thanks Osprey, Davet50 and Ron.  This is really what I thought.  It is indeed a XPS One 2710.  It is a month old and working wonderfully.  The only reason I was considering the update was the Dell Support Center had an alert pop-up indicating the update was strongly recommended.

I am going to hold off.  I really appreciate your advice.

Peace,

Chris

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 16th, 2012 05:00

Chris,

I see it's listed as "recommended", and "Dell recommends applying this update during your next scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software)."

Doesn't sound critical to me.

21 Posts

November 16th, 2012 17:00

DON'T!!!

I just saw the message yesterday advising me to update the BIOS to new A08 version, downloaded if from Dell, installed it and my XPS never restarted.  Looks like they are going to replace the motherboard :(

25 Posts

November 16th, 2012 20:00

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to not upgrade. Phew! I almost did it. Chris

November 16th, 2012 23:00

Have you checked the SATA mode in BIOS (RAID if you have the mSATA cache, AHCI otherwise)? Have you already excluded this is the problem?

21 Posts

November 17th, 2012 05:00

Bingo, that was exactly the issue.  After updating to BIOS A08 (thanks to Dell recommendation....), the boot mode was reverted to AHCI from RAID and that is the reason why the computer never restarted.  Sadly, I have already wipe out my drive and have to re-install and reconfigure my machine from start.  How come DELL's techs are not aware of the boot mode setting issue, this beats me.  The A08 BIOS update was suggested by DELL own maintenance tool on the XPS 27, I did not make this up.  Very frustrating.... but thanks Paolo for the advice.

21 Posts

November 17th, 2012 06:00

Actually, now even with a full OS reinstall from a USB recovery  / restore drive DELL sent to me and SATA in BIOS set to RAID, my machine refuse to start.  I see DELL logo, Windows starts loading and then 1 sec of blue screen and message saying windows failed to start wtih options to safe mode, etc.... which none of them work.  Argh....

2 Posts

November 28th, 2012 11:00

Hello telecam,

i have also a XPS 27 and did the same thing as you and now the same problem. ,THe XPS doesn't start anymore.

I phone the helpdesk last saturday and they inform me that they were aware of the problem. They should collect my computer today at home.

At 18h00 nobody to collect the computer and i phone back to the helpdesk . They inform that nobody should come because they don't have a box to transport it.

The whole day I stay at home for nothing, then he suggest to do some changes in the boot system without resullts. Now he will send me a restore drive Dell.

But as I understand It didn't help your computer. My question now if your computer already works and what  they advise you to do. Can you please help me so i

can prepare mijself when I will have a new call with dell support.

21 Posts

November 28th, 2012 15:00

Sorry to hear this.  The OS Recovery and Restore USB Key they sent to me never worked.  I had to drive two hours yesterday to a Fedex office to pickup an OS DVD they sent to a wrong address.  Installing the OS DVD brought the system to life but I had to re-install all drivers and Dell utilities one by one which was quite a chore not to mention re-installing my own software and files.  Also, a local repair guy showed up yesterday unannounced with a replacement drive and motherboard.  Drive did not work but he did replace the motherboard.  Computer is now back in service and everything seems fine.  I will never ever update the BIOS on that machine again and won't probably buy a DELL again.  A lots of Dell tried helping but the all service handling was a mess.  This has been a long two weeks...

2 Posts

November 29th, 2012 05:00

Thank  you for the information . I'm waiting now for the recovery cd and then I will see. I inform you what they suggest  me. But like you say Dell cann't handle this problem, they always gives othes solutions, but  I'm glad that your computer is working again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2012 14:00

No Events found!