Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2017 07:00

XPS Questions

I am now retired and doing 3D architectural modeling and some astrophysics modeling to try and maintain my sanity.

I read somewhere (fog of age) that the XPS 8900 series does not have room to install the NVIDIA GTX 1070 card.  Is this true?  The same comments were making disparaging remarks about the amount of available cooling but it was pretty obvious the individual had likely not received a pony as a child.

Due to the computational density of the astrophysics model (objects in the Oort cloud if interested), I need some fairly serious CPU and will play games, read emails or watch movies on my Kindle Fire HDX to reduce all unnecessary CPU drains while running my model.

Okay, I confess that I love the XPS line and this would be my 4th purchase.  Sorry, Dell, I do not purchase them directly from you because I have to include in home service as part of the deal.

Is the XPS limited to the NVIDIA 9 series as the top end card (note:  I do understand that I could purchase two but that is a sub optimal solution for a couple of reasons) or by any chance have their competitors come close and have something that would serve my need (not my primary choice).

Out of curiosity, why are there so few XPS desktops with SSD options?  In all honesty, I really miss the old days when you could simply click and build what you wanted but I digress.

Any help is appreciated.

Very old XPS addicted user

2 Posts

February 14th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your fast and extremely informative reply.

Oh well, I had hoped to stay with the XPS line as they have treated me so well for years but the best I can to to at least stay within the company is to move up to the Alienware line.

Thanks!

Richard

PS  I am unable to do much internal modification in boxes as hinted at by the servicing upgrades I purchase so installing new equipment though understood extremely well is physically impossible.  Thanks for the note about the power supply; next to cooling capability (I have an excel spreadsheet set up to approximate cooling for various configurations and after a few years of observation, it still appears to be a very acceptable guide to required cooling.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

February 14th, 2017 06:00

Hi Melkurion,

Thanks for posting.

Some cards are longer than others. So if you do get one make sure it's not one of the absurdly long cards. You can always google the length of the card and any card less than or equal to that length will fit.  Also Dell has only tested this model with the standard 490 watt power supply, if the card requires more power, then, it's probably not supported.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 15th, 2017 11:00

Have you read this thread?  XPS 8900 stock PSU with GTX 1070 works

No Events found!