Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2008 13:00

XPS Screech Of Death (SoD)

We have been put on the back burner far too long. Dell has buried the original thread deep in the bowels of thise message board, so I'm here to repost it and MAYBE get some answers. First, a small introduction to the problem.

The Screech of Death (forthwith known simply as SoD) is a loud, high-pitched noise that erupts from the speakers of a Dell XPS often accompanied by a total system lockup (yes with the sound still coming).

Dell and Creative have both been unable to find a reason why this is happeneing, or even a system that they can "duplicate" the issue on.

A link to the original Thread: Here

Its 17 pages. So be warned.

1.7K Posts

July 30th, 2008 16:00

link to the new Creative 2.18.0004 driver july 30/08

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&thread.id=33670

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-30-2008 12:06 PM

241 Posts

Got my new build through from Dell and its been screech free since I got it on Friday :) scared to install the new Creative drivers incase it starts again.

43 Posts

I'm going to give those new drivers a try. Hopefully they are better than the beta for them that I tried......That was just a load of booty-doo.

44 Posts

July 30th, 2008 21:00

OK - just installed the new drivers - they install as version 6.0.1.1283 - and installation went without a problem. The first thing I noticed is that Creative Smart Recorder doesn't work any more. The installer on the Creative website for this doesn't recognise the Dell card so I cannot re-install. I might dig out the dell install disk and see if this can be installed on its own.

Played Track Mania for an hour and no sound problems - in fact the issue I had with the beta release seems to be resolved too. Switched in and out of iTunes whilst playing and no problems to report. I will be using the PC for the day tomorrow so I'll give it a better work out then!! But so far, so good...anyone else anything to report?

1.7K Posts

July 31st, 2008 11:00

I just received an Email from Creative about the screech issue , has any one else .  the email is  very interesting to share or disclosure my email info and i quote "Maybe unlawful"  and may be "Legally Privileged" u know what i think .

1.7K Posts

July 31st, 2008 14:00

creative has released a new CD Burner Plug in and a New Console Launcher released July 31/08 , may or may not install on your Dell OEM sound card .. as the burner plug in would not install on my XPS 720 Dell Screeching X-FI OEM Xtremegamer. More of the same unsupported and screeching hardware.

43 Posts

July 31st, 2008 15:00

I got the email.

> Subject: Intermittent Screech for Dell X-Fi XtremeGamer
> To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
> CC: Christopher_Mixon@Dell.com
> From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>
> Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>
> I am from Creative Tech Support Team. Our Dell Counterpart, Christopher
> Mixon told us that your system encounter the screeching issue, even with
> the beta drivers provided, and requested our help to look into this.
>
> I'm sorry for the trouble you have encountered and hope that we can resolve
> this quickly.
>
> To help us narrow down which component causes this problem, (Note that this
> component can be drivers, software or other component including motherboard
> or BIOS), appreciate if you could do the following steps:
>
> 1. Go to Audio Creation Mode->Bit Matched Tab and check the "Enable
> Bit-matched playback" checkbox.
> a) Launch Audio Creation Mode
> b) Click on Setting button on the bottom left corner
> c) Check the "Enable Bit-matched playback" checkbox
>
> 2. If the problem still exist, please
> a) Launch Control Panel
> b) Double click on Sound icon
> c) Go to Playback tab
> d) Double-click on Speakers for Creative SB X-Fi
> e) Go to Sound Blaster tab
> f) Check "Disable Enhancement"
>
> 3. If the problem continue to exist, please change the various sampling
> rate and check whether problem still exist.
> a) Launch Control Panel
> b) Double click on Sound icon
> c) Go to Playback tab
> d) Double-click on Speakers for Creative SB X-Fi
> e) Go to Advanced tab
> f) From the Default Format section, change the sampling rate(44.1Khz,
> 48Khz, 96khz & 192khz)from the drop-down combo box
> g) Click on Apply button to apply changes.
>
> Also, your system information would be very helpful in troubleshooting.
> Would you be able to send me your system information by going to "Start >
> Accessories > Systems Tools > System Information" and export out into a
> text file? You can view the file and remove any information that you are
> not comfortable to share.
>
> If we could not pinpoint any suspect from the above, the last option is to
> perform remote access to your system. This allows us to put in some
> debugging tools too. Would you be open to this option?
>
> Thank you in advance for giving us an opportunity to try to resolve this
> problem.
>
> Regards
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Creative Technology Ltd
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
>
> Notice
> The information in this message is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
> message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of the message, or
> any action taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
> unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please delete it
> and contact the sender immediately. Thank you.

Gotta Love the C-D alliance.

You know what? I don't care about your legal mumbo-jumbo. You send an e-mail to someone, It becomes their property. THEY have the rights to make it known or unknown. The fact that you are keeping these fixes a secret, and keeping them confidential is proof that you know there is a problem even after you have denied your ability to recreate the problem. This is something that I intend to report to the Better Business Buereu.

1.7K Posts

all the  Creative solutions for screech is posted at the Creative Forms from the mods in the threads about screech ,  the email from Creative {July 31/08} is excatly the same solutions on the Creative Forum threads  as suggested by the Creative modarators. These suggestions i have tried , over and over again with every known driver release nothing has worked for the Screech on My  Dell XPS 720 Screeching OEM Dell Branded X-FI Extreme gamer .. the Email Today July 31/08 is a rehash of the creative solutions at the creative soundblaster forums. Normaly on the Creative forums if u have an OEM card Creative will not help. as they tell u to contact the OEM , or completely ignor your OEM Problemed sound card post  as its not their Retail Card. therefore u get no support from Creative for an OEM Card .

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-31-2008 12:03 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-31-2008 12:04 PM

43 Posts

I just finished submittting a complaint to the BBB with the email.

are you telling us that they sent you a list of what was on the forums and then said to keep it hush hush?

haha. I hope they eat to S's and die.

43 Posts

I cannot even begin to explain how angry I am right now...

1.7K Posts

as for the suggestions in the email for a solution to the screech , i have tried them all that have been suggested  , as they are on the Creative Forums,  non have worked ..

1.7K Posts

July 31st, 2008 16:00

Could someone from Dell or Creative tell my how the Most recent XPS 730 with the latest Nvidia chipset and a Dell OEM sounblaster X-FI card could have screech? its not any of the newer hardware or software or chipsets , its the Dell OEM sound card that creates screech , as ive tried a non Dell non Creative card with no screech, Asus sound card works perfectly no screech.

1.7K Posts

Dell-Chris_M i really do appreciate your thoughtfullness and help on this issue , but it has been going on a very long time , My solution is and have install an Asus sound card.. without screech lockups , hiss , pops , crackle .. tel me how that can be , in my Dell XPS 720 ., lets compare the XPS generations and time line , XPS , 400, 410, 420 ,710, 720 , 630 , 730 , all have a screech problem
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-31-2008 12:41 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-31-2008 12:49 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Toronto699,

At least they are engaging with us.

43 Posts

I have a solution.

We send our sound cards to Dell. They mail us non-Dell replacements of the same model. Simple, Screech-solving.

And as to "Engaging With us", I call this a slap in the face. It shows that they simply repackage their generic fixes for multiple problems and send them out as fixes. 

No Events found!