Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 30th, 2007 21:00

XPS with SB Card Screeking noise

I have a Dell XPS420 PC that was delivered 11/20/07.  I selected the SB X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound Card as a 4100.00 Upgrade.  Turns out the Sound card in my PC is NOT The Music Card, its a Model SB0770.  Dell has been unable to find this Sound card at dell on Creative.  It is not only a a mystery why a different Sound card was installed then the one that shows on my Invoice, its also a mystery why doing research the Card in my PC cannot be found at any site. 

Several people have reported this switch and also that occasionally they hear a loud 3 to 4 second screech.  I have also experienced this noise and would like to know if others with this same build from Dell have hear the same Noise.

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2007 22:00

denmarfl , when u go to the dell drivers and download page using your service tag what creative sound card drivers does it show?  and what does the system configuration  at the driver page to the left of page say your sound  card is

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 12-30-2007 06:51 PM

628 Posts

What makes you think you did not get the X-Fi Xtreme Music card???

Is it because you found a part number listed such as SB0770 and you can't find that model anywhere on Creative's site???

Note: Most always (as far as I know, allways) Dell uses OEM sound cards that Creative has made specially for Dell. Because of that, the model numbers you may find on a Dell SoundBlaster, probably won't be listed anywhere on Creatives site.

While the card you got may not be identical to a retail version, it should be functionally the same, it's just been made specially for Dell.

1.7K Posts

I have the awefull screech in my XPS 720 , constant intermitant screech with a Dell Branded X-FI Extremegamer sound card,Dell Support said  there is no fix for the screech issue in vista ,  unless i did this , "Dell support wanted to install WXP and the Dell Xtrememusic card on my XPS 720 system. " The other Dell support option was to use the onboard audio in vista

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 12-30-2007 06:28 PM

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 12-30-2007 06:28 PM

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2007 23:00

Timdrouilard 
my printed order  from Dell store says "Soundblaster XFI XtremeMusic {D} sound card"
my Dell invoice says "313-5450 X-FI PCI Sound Card"
The Dell Driver Pages says "Xtremegamer" 
Device Manager says "Creative SB X-FI"
Configuration page says "WW202 Card {Circuit}..Multi-Media ..Audio SBX..Vista

Dell Tech support said the xtremegamer was a better sound card than the XtremeMusic {D}

but my XPS 720 is screeching its self to Death , i never have the sound on its so awefull

Thank Goodness For Blackbird

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 12-30-2007 08:01 PM

628 Posts

December 30th, 2007 23:00

Toronto699

FWIW, I just looked at the download page for my system and under Audio is has the drivers for the X-Fi ExtremeGamer.

Under my original configuration page, it's listed as
WW202 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., MULTI-MEDIA..., AUDIO..., SBX, VSTA

On my packing list it shows

313-5834 Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music

115 Posts

December 31st, 2007 00:00

I understand what you are saying, prior dell PC had speciality Model numbers because they were specialy made for Dell PC's.  The difference this time is, I worked with 2 dell XPS Agent and a Supervisor for over an Hour and if the explanation was simply it is a SB X-Fi Xtreme Music Card as purchased in my XPS certainily the dell agents I was working with could have simply replied the Model number was a Special number, etc.  The fact is, the Dell agents had No explanation and were totally puzzled by my description of the ports on the card in my PC as compared to what their specs showed for the card in Their Specs.  The SB 0770is totally unknown to them and Creative refuses to assist. 

136 Posts

December 31st, 2007 07:00

Why oh why do you guys buy systems with Vista and new hardware? Stay with XP for now. Vista is another Windows ME. The driver support is not there yet. And also the sound card driver may say music, gamer, whatever. But the fact is that they all use the same driver to an extent. My system says extreme music but in fact its an extreme gamer:
my card is identical to the above. I would suggest going to creative's site and doing the autoupdate option, here's the link: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/su.asp  it will tell you what card or rather what chipset your card has on it. The model numbers don't mean jack when it comes Dell. Thats for their use only.

628 Posts

December 31st, 2007 09:00

-ESW-Robio376

Thanks for the suggestion and link regarding the autoupdate option but unfortunatly it doesn't work with Vista.

Creative Software AutoUpdate currently supports Windows® 98 or higher with Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.

Windows Vista is currently not supported.

If you are using any other operating system or browser please select Manual Download or click here to proceed.

136 Posts

December 31st, 2007 15:00

What do you know! Vista is not supported. I remember getting it to work on my Vista system though. I will do an install of Vista 32 today and try to recount how I got mine working. I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64 and have not had any issues. But I did use Creative Beta drivers. Also if I can remember corrrectly I did not install the windows updates WDM driver because it renames the card and creative will not identify it correctly. I will do some more hunting and get back to you later.
Robio

Oh, another thing is to download the driver from Creative and let it extract, cancel the setup. Go to the device manager and select your sound card and update driver manually. You know the have disk option. Go to the temp folder where you extracted the creative driver (you will probably have to show hidden files) and see if windows finds the driver there. I 'm pretty sure thats how I found mine. After that I was able to install creative bloatware console software.

Message Edited by -ESW-Robio376 on 12-31-2007 11:56 AM

136 Posts

December 31st, 2007 16:00

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows Vista™ 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

• Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty®
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series 
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 

Current release features:

• X-Fi Crystalizer™
  • X-Fi CMSS®-3D
  • MIDI Playback
  • EAX® Effects
  • PCM stereo output through Optical Out
  • Line-in connectivity
  • SPDIF passthrough is supported on both Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit
  • Recording capabilities

Fixes:

• Resolves an issue for Windows Vista 64-bit systems with 4 GB RAM 
  • Resolves loud speaker noise when restarting your computer
  • Resolves an issue that causes OpenAL games not to respond

Known issues:

• Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi CD (for Windows XP) will not work with this download.
  • The following are not supported:
    • Decoding of Dolby® Digital and DTS™ signals (Cyberlink® PowerDVD™ or InterVideo® WinDVD® is required)
    • DVD-Audio (PowerDVD may support selected DVD-Audio content)
    • EAX or DirectSound®3D (Download Creative ALchemy to restore this feature in Windows Vista)
    • 6.1 speaker mode (not supported by Windows Vista)

Requirements:

• Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above

Notes:

• Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
  • To install the driver, do the following:
    1. Download the SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_15_0004.exe file onto your local hard disk.
    2. Double-click the downloaded file.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  • To uninstall the driver, do the following:
    1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Device Manager icon.
    3. Double-click the Sound, video and game controllers option.
    4. Right-click the Creative SB X-Fi option, and select Uninstall.
      The Confirm Device Uninstall dialog box appears.
    5. Select the Delete the driver software for this device option.
      Note: This check box must be selected to avoid reinstallation issues.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Restart your computer.
  • To reinstall the driver, do the following:
    1. Double-click the downloaded file.
    2. When the message You must restart your computer to apply these changes appears, click the Restart Later button.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Have you followed these instructions? Pay close attention to the notes for extreme audio

1.7K Posts

ESW-Robio376
The Creative drivers will not install on the Dell Branded OEM XtremeGamer card, been through this with Dell tech support ..

1.1K Posts

Check under Windows Updates. I have an XPS 420.

I ran Windows Updates and one of my optional updates was for my XtremeMusic card. The only problem I had was speaker noise when programs opened and that solved it. Well, that was a problem on 1 of my XPS 420's. The other XPS with the Xtrememusic card did not have this problem. Of course, it was built after the date of the drivers located by VISTA update.

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2007 17:00

ESW does not work.. even Dell support could not get them to instrall   will not install on the Dell OEM card ..ChrisM will tell u the samething  and i have an extremegamer OEM  Dell Card.

136 Posts

Your are mistaken Toronto, I have installed the creative drivers. You must first load the drivers from the X-fi cd that dell sent you, then go to creative and you can update your drivers to the newest version.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Toronto699,

* End task on all Creative applications in the taskbar
* Go into Control Panel- Add/Remove and remove all Creative applications

* Download/Install Driver Sweeper
* Click the link by Download (with installer)
* Click Download Now
* Click Download (America)
* Click I Agree
* Click Save
* Click Desktop
* Click Save
* Create a folder on your desktop called Driver Sweeper
* Right mouse click the downloaded guru3d-driversweeper.zip and drag it into the folder
* Click Extract Here
* Open the folder
* Open the Guru3D.com folder
* Open the Setup folder
* Double click setup.exe
* Click OK
* Click Next
* Click Next
* Click Yes if asked
* Click Next
* Click Next
* Click Install