Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2010 06:00

XPS420: Does wake on lan work on this hardware?

I've just updated my XPS420 to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and it would be quite handy if I were able to use the Wake-on-LAN functionality to enable me to wake it up with a WOL app I have on my smartphone.

The problem is that, despite having every conceivable setting enabled within the OS (NIC configuration settings) and having the Wake-on-LAN setting enabled in the BIOS (which seems to be a factiry default), I can't get it to wake up from standby or hibernate. If I set the OS to sleep I can get it to wake up with a magic packet with no problems.

I've installed wireshark on the machine and confirmed that the magic packet is actually reaching the station, so I know it isn't a problem with either the WOL app or my infrastructure.

I was playing with it yesterday and somehow managed to get it to wake from hibernate once, but since then (and as far as I can tell, without making any changes) I can only wake the machine up by physically pressing the power button.

Has anyone else successfully enabled WOL on their 420 to work from those power modes?

2 Posts

April 12th, 2017 07:00

Hi Jean,

Sadly, no. The short answer seems to be that the motherboard simply won't support standard WOL functionality (unless Dell released a bios update for it at some point).

I don't have my XPS420 any more, though.

2 Posts

April 12th, 2017 07:00

Hey it's almost 7 years later !

And I'm in exactly the same situation a you were... only that I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 (very similar ;)),

So, Did you managed to resolve your problem? If you did then some advice would be very welcome !

J.

No Events found!