Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2006 12:00

XPS5 Audigy 2 ZS and 5.1 decoder?????? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I will try to make this brief and to the point....bought a XPS5 with a TV tuner card(Emuzed...I think).  At the time of purchase, I didn't get the 5.1 speakers even though the system came with a SB Audigy 2 ZS, I just recently got a set of analog 5.1 Logitech speakers.  Everything is hooked up correctly  because when I play a DVD it works great but my question is when I watch TV through the Emuzed Tuner card the audio that I hear is only seperated into two channels (Left and Right).  The same exact sound is coming out of the rear speakers as well.  There is no Pro Logic sound but there should be.

My question is why can't I find decoder info in the sound card software?  If I can't find it there, where is it suppose to be?  I have searched in and out of the Media Center program and no matter what I choose in the audio options the sound stays the same.  Does anyone have any ideas??

Thank U for your time.

Message Edited by superakcraig on 01-16-2006 08:32 AM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2006 13:00

It would appear to be the TV Tuner card, not the sound card.  When you play a DVD, the sound is "digital" coming off of the DVD and the DVD player program decodes the Dolby or 5.1 (or whatever) is on the DVD and sends that to the sound card.

Apparenlty the TV card only outputs two channel audio and the sound card is just reproducting the two channel audio and routing it to both the front and back speakers.  I have a Retail Audigy 2 and it comes with the EAX console (software) that will simulate surround sound.  That has to be manually set, when you want to use it.  I don't know if the Dell version has that option. .

14 Posts

Just another thought,

Shouldn't my Audigy 2 ZS decode dolby digital and prologic because there is no where in the software settings to alter, change, or even select that.  As a matter of fact, it doesn't say anything about DD or DPL anywhere in the software.

Thanks for your input!!

14 Posts

Firebird,

Thanks for your quick response.  I appreciate it.  My soundcard software actually does have the EAX console and I have adjusted that to hear the different sound output.  I guess since it isn't a digital source I will have to make these changes when I listen to the TV source.

I was kind of hoping that it would adjust itself automatically but I guess that is hoping for too much.

Thanks again,
Superakcraig

14 Posts

January 16th, 2006 17:00

Firebird,

I realize you can't get 5.1 out of a 2 channel source but I should be able to at least hear Dolby Pro Logic (or 4.1) which is broadcast on most all TV programs that are analog and are also on even VHS tapes.

There are no settings within the cards software that says anything about Dolby.  This is very disappointing.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2006 17:00

Yes, I would think it will "decode" Dolby, but you have to have something that has Dolby "to be decoded".  You can't feed a two channel stereo into the card and get 5.1 surround sound out of it.
No Events found!