Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2007 04:00

XPS720 Motherboard & 680i SLI Chipset

ANYbody please help me!

I have a question if anybody would be so kind to provide me some info to resolve the mystery.  I received my XPS720 and have noticed that my former XPS700 was much faster than this plug of a system.  The XPS720, I was assured by Dell Reps, would have the nForce 680i SLI motherboard and chipset installed but at this point I am a bit suspect.

QUESTION:  Can anybody tell me how I can determine the chipset in My XPS720 system motherboard?  The motherboard I apparently have installed is a Dell Model # 0CK520 and was confirmed by a scan that did not reveal the chipset.  But when the system arrived all the stickers that were viewable on the board read that it was a "FOXCONN L S-36."
I am so confused and I can't get any straight answers from you know who!

Any assistance is very much appreciated & thanks in advance for the help.

Striv59
System Manufacturer:  Dell, Inc.
System Model:  XPS720, Dozer, Core 2 Duo E6700
Motherboard Manufacturer:  Dell, Inc.
Motherboard Model:  0CK520

2.6K Posts

October 9th, 2007 14:00

How about CPU-Z?
It is a 680i board, plenty of reviews on it available.

6 Posts

October 11th, 2007 01:00

Thank you for the feadback--appreciated it!  But now I am even more confused as "nVidia nTune" indicates that my XPS720 CHIPSET is as follows:

MCP version: nForce 570 SLI  A2
SPP/IGP version:  nForce5 Ultra  A2

If ANYBODY can explain this to me and how I can definitely determine my XPS720 "Chipset" I would appreciate it very much.  My XPS720 still seems to run slower than my former XPS700.  Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
Striv59
XPS720--->>>???

August 16th, 2013 17:00

Dell XPS720 does NOT work well with Windows7 (32/64 bit) - You get controller errors, video card errors and a heck of a lot more. Even after installing (in any mode as administrator) the errors still prevail. I'll always believed that the Dell - Intel failed agreement is one of the main factors of this. If it were anything else you'd get a free upgrade / change of machine however Dell tried to ease it all by simply ignoring everyone. Their real problem was they said the XPS720 was easily upgradeable, which it is NOT! It has a beautiful (huge!) tower which has the most stupid motherboard installed in it and once that's finished with nothing else will fit. Dell never had the nerve to get itself some serious respect and offer the XPS730 to all the 700, 710 and 720 purchasers to prove they were an 'okay' provider of IT equipment - years on. I, personally manage to sometimes get windows 7 to start 1st time otherwise it's like several attempts!

Someone like to tell me I'm wrong in all this and if so the way to avoid errors - I bet not, including Dell themselves! Shame on them for selling systems that they simply lied about in every respect, even in using XP!

Michael

1 Message

December 26th, 2014 20:00

I have an xps 720 core 2 duo running win 7 64bit with no problem, or errors now I did update the bios to the latest revision. Now my OS is a win 7 upgrade from Vista I don't know if that makes a difference.

I am currently planning to upgrade the processor to a Q6850 and ad a factory dell water cooler in it

P.S. Don't expect a lot of help from Dell tech support, I was basically told if I didn't buy it from them (bought it from a neighbor who was going to scrap it) they would not assist me.

Scotty

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 10:00

YOU ARE INDEED COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT THIS! RIGHT NOW I'M WRITING THIS ON A DELL XPS-720 WITH THE OCK 520 MOTHER BOARD AND THE NFORCE 680I SLI SPP CHIPSET.

IF YOU HAD BEEN TALKING ABOUT WINDOWS 10, THEN Y0U WOULD HAVE A CASE. BUT AS IT STANDS... THERE IS NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER INSTALLING AND RUNNING WINDOWS 7 X64 ON THIS. YOU SEEM A BIT-- :emotion-43:

No Events found!