Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

March 9th, 2002 06:00

boot disk with cd-rom support, anyone?

I currently have Windows95 and wish to upgrade to 98SE [266 p2, 128 ram, 8-meg video card]. In order to do so using the full version of 98, I am going to reformat my hard drive and then install the new (relatively speaking) OS, effectively starting from scratch. But I've fallen into a problem. To use the CD from DOS, I need to be able to access the drive, right? Well, that is my problem. My cd drive is fine in windows, but it won't be recognized once I use the boot-up disk [outside of windows].

I dont use the standard windows95 boot-up disk. I've used one as prescribed by http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/mar98/031298.html , which includes key cd-drive files such as 'mscdex.exe' the normal boot disk does not.

I realize this is probably a very easily resolved problem, but I have somehow managed to turn this into a nagging problem. This is the only thing seperating me from windows98 nirvana. Could anyone help, or at least point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.7K Posts

March 9th, 2002 07:00

3.4K Posts

March 9th, 2002 13:00

Himura_Kenshin wrote:
- I currently have Windows95 and wish to upgrade to
- 98SE [266 p2, 128 ram, 8-meg video card]. In order
- to do so using the full version of 98, I am going to
- reformat my hard drive and then install the new
- (relatively speaking) OS, effectively starting from
- scratch. But I've fallen into a problem. To use the
- CD from DOS, I need to be able to access the drive,
- right? Well, that is my problem. My cd drive is fine
- in windows, but it won't be recognized once I use
- the boot-up disk [outside of windows].
-
-

Hi,

My site will give you full and complete instructions to fdisk and then format. It also has a page that tells how to install Windows from your hard drive.

If you want to make a Win98 startup disk from the install CD that you have, just start the install in Windows. Before any files are copied or changed the install will allow you to make the startup floppy. Then just quit the install, and your doen.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Find the 'EXACT' memory for your Dell here.

Choose from the complete list of FREE internet providers.

Complete FDISK and Format instructions.

My Dell T@lk help site. Computer help links, and a complete list of FREE Internet Service Providers.

No Events found!