Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2011 13:00

dell e520 not booting starting loud fast heatsink fan noise

Hello

My core2duo E520 is not booting when I turn it on.

The drives spin up,

the motherboard light comes on

but there is no display

keyboard lights remain off

and the heatsink fan is going at top speed.

Prior to this, the computer was on as normal, for internet browsing and no intensive tasks for several hours. I turned it off for approx 20 minutes, then this happened. I do not know what the CPU temperature was at any time, but about 2 hours after this problem surfaced, I opened up the case and heatsink to see if anything is loose. Nothing is loose and the CPU temperature is cool to touch. No idea if it was too hot earlier.

Also, when computer was fine, when I remove and insert the cable, heatsink fan will blow for a few seconds even with computer off (but power supply on).

Now it doesn't respond when cable is removed and inserted.

Anyone has any tips/idea/experience which component may be broken? Is there some sort of temperature sensor which may have broke, which causes the heatsink fan to superspeed and the boot system to automatically not start? Or perhaps did the CPU died?? How easy does the CPU die if it just overheats for a few minutes?

many thanks, feeling very anxious

Thanks Bev for your reply.

The power LED is amber when I press on it, then turns green and stays solid green after that.

There are no beeps.

The diagnostic lights are 1, 3, 4. They come on and stay on. No flashing. This pattern is not covered in the diagnostics manual, the closest matches to this pattern (1, 3) and (3, 4), refer to problems with my RAM. However I don't see how RAM problems could cause my heatsink fan to whir superfast. I have 4 sticks of 1GB RAM, fully occupying 4 slots. 2 are the original and 2 are extras that I got from Dell website, same model as the original.

According to the manual, CPU failure is (3), without (1) and (4) lighting up. Does this mean my CPU is fine?

How reliable are those diagnostic lights?

Thanks again

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

beepbeep1268

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Check the sequence of the four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

The e520 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter, are HERE.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2011 14:00

beepbeep1268

The Diagnostic lights are usually fairly accurate.

No 'Beeps' and undocumented diagnostic lights, could indicate a motherboard issue.

First, try removing and reinstalling all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference.

No difference and if you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply and case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the connector, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is difference in the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died, or maybe the processor. 

Note the processor rarely fails.

Bev.

5 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I too share the same issues with my XPS 630i. The heat sink noise is stardard for a few secounds on start up and then boots like normal.

However now, i just get the loud wirring noise with no display at all on the moniter, doesn't appear to lauch BIOS. My thoughts is RAM only cause i was cleaning inside my PC like normal and the only thing i bumped was 1 stick of RAM, i have looked over it and niothing appears to be loose. Also I reclipped the sticks of RAM in to make sure. No changes at this stage.  Mother board LED is Amber through out this process. Also have no start up beeps.

Thanks to those that can help.

Beau

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I too share the same issues with my XPS 630i. The heat sink noise is stardard for a few secounds on start up and then boots like normal.

However now, i just get the loud wirring noise with no display at all on the moniter, doesn't appear to lauch BIOS. My thoughts is RAM only cause i was cleaning inside my PC like normal and the only thing i bumped was 1 stick of RAM, i have looked over it and niothing appears to be loose. Also I reclipped the sticks of RAM in to make sure. No changes at this stage.  Mother board LED is Amber through out this process. Also have no start up beeps.

Thanks to those that can help.

Beau

Beau-Time

The OP has an Dimension e520, as you have XPS 630i, because they are different systems and to avoid confusion, it would be best that you post a new message, with your issues.

Bev.

1 Message

February 1st, 2011 11:00

My e520 is doing the same exact thing.  When it does this, I press and hold in the power power and then power up again. After 2 to 5 tries it eventually powers up.

Let me know if you ever find out what the problem is.

1 Message

November 8th, 2015 15:00

My e520 started doing the same. Please, let me know if you found the solution and what was that.

No Events found!