Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2017 03:00

dell vostro 200 running a virtual machine

i am trying to run a vm on my dell vostro 200 and idk if it is posssible becuase every time i go to install it says kernel not appropiate please heelp

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 6th, 2017 10:00

Nobody can help unless you provide more details:

MiniTower or Slim?

Have you checked BIOS to make sure Virtualization Technology is enabled?

Version of Windows ?

What VM software?

Sorry i was half asleep when i posted .....Mini tower ,virtual box ,windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, I have no clue how to access virtualization  in bios I don't know if there is an option for it  I've spent the last month looking for it

I have found out that I have to go into settings on vm go to processor and select pae and I can get it to load that way but when it's finished installing it says loading please wait I left it alone for 4 hours and it never finished

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 6th, 2017 11:00

We'll also need to know what CPU you have - these were pretty basic, entry level models even in 2007 when they were current - the decade that has passed since them makes them so far out of date that even if your system is running Windows 7 64 bit or newer -- and IF you have a CPU capable of VT-x, you'll need a very good sense of humor to endure the performance of virtual machines running on this hardware.

February 6th, 2017 12:00

When I go to advanced in bios the only thing there are ....limit cpu Id  value....execute disable bit........core multi threading

February 6th, 2017 12:00

\Intel Pentium E2160 / 1.8 GHz

February 6th, 2017 13:00

it says the cpu has it when i search up the specs but i cant find it Intel Virtualization Technology

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 6th, 2017 16:00

The manual says:

System Setup Options

NOTE: Depending on your computer and installed devices, the items listed in this section may not appear, or may not appear exactly as listed.

So if you don't see Virtualization Technology, then your CPU doesn't support it.

Keep in mind that Intel makes many variations on each CPU series. So even though some of that same series may support Virtualization, others may not...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

I'm not sure where you found specs that say this CPU supports virtualization, because its manufacturer (Intel) states that it does not.

ark.intel.com/.../Intel-Pentium-Processor-E2160-1M-Cache-1_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 9th, 2017 09:00

Current virtualization Requires SLAT so this wont ever work for what you are trying.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1401.hyper-v-list-of-slat-capable-cpus-for-hosts.aspx

No Events found!