Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2013 13:00

eSATA XPS 8100: Should I give up?

I have been trying to get the eSATA slot to work on my XPS 8100 (Windows 7 Home Premium) to no avail. I have read dozens (feels like thousands), of threads here and all over the web. There seems to be various fixes that work for some and not for others. Quite frankly, I'm tired of searching and just about ready to give up. If I do, I might go with a USB 3.0 card if it'll work (I read on one thread that it might not work on my motherboard); can any one confirm this?

Also, back to eSATA, does any one here have the 'low-down' on what exactly is going on and is it fixable?

Thank you,

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 4th, 2013 14:00

Plug the device in, turn on its external power supply, and it should work. It may be better to do this before boot-up.

19 Posts

January 7th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for your reply rdunnill... I tried that and several other recommendations with no success.

I decided to go with the USB 3.0 PCIe card instead and it works great (I chose theVantec 4-Port Superspeed card). This card has two ports that are accessible on the back of the computer, and a 20-pin port on the card inside the computer from which I can connect two more USB 3 ports. I'm going to look around for a 2-port, USB 3 front panel and install it next.

I'll try to post up the 3.0 and 2.0 speed differences later.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 7th, 2013 11:00

I am wondering if the eSATA port has to be enabled in the BIOS. However, it appears that you've found a solution so the point is moot.

Good luck!

No Events found!